boatting class

nhtrax

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I know this might sound kindda lame but My son and I just finished our boating safty class yesterday for New Hampshire and passed. we've not once been out but look forward to some great times boating on our new (used) pontoon hope to discuss alot of things on this site anyone else out there have to take this class in other states I was in the Navy 81-85 and a Boatswain mate 3rd class po I ran the small boats whaleboat and captains gig all ocean going rules of the road but that was over 25 years ago can.t wait to start mannig the helm again sorry to ramble but we are excited John:rolleyes:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: boatting class

Like you, I learned many of my boating skill in the Navy.

I did take a safety course long ago, primarily to get a 10% reduction on my insurance.

And welcome to the Pontoon Boating World. You'll find lots of great guys here willing to share their knowledge so blast away.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats nhtrax!
I wish more boaters would get some initiative and take a safe boaters course. They offer basic but important information.
Some states now require a boating certificate before operating a power-driven vessel.

Check out this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291060

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great job, getting the son into the course also. everyone on the water, operating a boat needs to be atleast have passed a certified course.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Not lame at all! Way to go on taking the initiative on being a safe boater and for getting your son involved as well! I hope you have many safe boating days ahead!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

When the Bosslady and I got our lake house, we took the USPS Boating safety course over the winter. Never regretted it.

I also was in the Navy, EM1, but never got to drive anything other than a car or jeep.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

#1 rule, never approach anything faster than you want to hit it. i suggest a boat pole as a requirement on a pontoon. makes docking in windy weather much easier. everyone in my family is Florida Certified, and no one not certified, is at my helm.