Boats that been sitting

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been shopping for my next boat...,
Found a 2007 Cobalt 5.0L / Alpha1 in my area last used in 2009 or 2010 (2009 registration sticker & a sticker for winterization for 2010-2011). Get this.... the boat has less than 20 hours since new. Guy said he hardly used it. Claims the marina ran it out of fuel when they winterized because he wasn't sure he was using the next season.

Excluding cleaning, what needs to be done and at what cost? New batteries, fuel system cleaning, fluid changes, ??

My main question is does this boat demand a premium because it has so few hours... ?? Or is the boat worth less than one with normal hours because it's been sitting so long?

Although my instincts on the boat & seller tell me the hours are legit, is it possible to disconnect an hour meter? Always wondered.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Would rather have a boat that has been used 50 hours a year and properly maintained.

So, no premium.

Sitting stuff goes to he# quicker than stuff used daily

That being said, do all maintenance. New impeller, bellows, etc

fhhuber

Lieutenant
One of the worst things you can do to a boat is park it on a trailer for years on end.
Its worse if outside even covered with a tarp because that trap isn't intact after a year and may as well not be there at all by the end of the 2nd year.
Then if under a tree you add the leaves and sap which will act to trap water and speed up rot.

Even if it was stored in a garage, the chances are good that mice got in and enjoyed destroying the wiring.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was paid storage at a marina until last year. Engine compartment looked pristine. Don't think mice got to it but am concerned about it sitting.

Thanks for opinions.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A ten year old boat with 20 hours is not a prize catch. At 10 hours a year for two years and sitting for 8, it's been dying a slow death from lack of use. I wonder how often the motor even reached operating temp for any length of time. Or how often the oils was changed. Or how bad the rubber parts are.

It will cost more to bring her back to life than one that's been used 10 or 20 hours a year for 10 years.

tpenfield

Staff member
Total crap-shoot . . . you can't predict what the boat/engine will be like. Lots of risk so the value is lower. If marina is selling it, they should get it running etc. so it can be evaluated. If you gotta do all that, then it is more of a project than a newer boat.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oil filter had 2010 date on it. I think it was as changed annually until it sat.

Based upon the opinions stated, I will steer clear even though it is below market value. Thanks for showing me the light!

The shiny hull and untouched upholstery must have gone to my head!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My current boat is a 2003 with a 5.0 mpi.
I bought it 2 seasons ago, with around 50hrs on her. The same thought crossed my mind.
The basic answer is that you will soon know if it's ok.
The more detailed answer is...if it's a carb, it may fair better than an MPI (which it may be). These are more suceptable to faults with low hours.
If it's an mpi...first thing to do is change the diz cap and rotor.
These engines are really meant to be used frequently.
The hour meter you refer to is it really an accurate judge of hours. They can be disconnected and often clock up hours when the ignition is on for the stereo or by mistake.
If it's an mpi then you will be able to tell the true hours by plugging it in at the local dealer or on smart craft tech.
Mine ran really well for ages and I have put nearly 300 hours on her in 2 seasons. Unfortunately I'm now experiencing inherent mpi faults. Perhaps as a result of low usage in the early days....who knows !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just read your last post. I wouldn't instantly write it off. It all depends how it's been stored. If you can get her fired up on the muffs and ran up to temp, you'll have a fair idea.
You may be ok.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's mpi.

It would need fluid & filter changes at minimum to fire. Prob want to squirt oil in cylinders & change plugs. I think if it could easily be fired, the price would reflect higher.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
No signs of rodents/bugs.... that's positive. It leaves you with just the aged seals, water pump and hoses plus potential rust internal to the engine.

If they ran the fuel out as completely as possible (you can't get it all) it may make getting the carb functional easier if any work is needed on it.

There may be hope.

You need a boat mechanic to in person inspect it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Don't get me wrong...mpi is a great engine. So powerfully and efficient.
If she looks good under the hood with no obvious signs of abuse or neglect (rust etc)...I'd be tempted to take a chance if the price is right.
She will be quick too.
If it's any less than a $1000 or so bucks from market value...its defo worth the gamble.
Only thing things you may need to replace are;
Plugs-about ?80 over here (iridium tipped ac delco 993 or preferably ngk)
Diz cap and rotor kit (genuine or not..doesn't matter. They fail every other year anyway)
Maybe the IAC-about ?100 over here.
Perhaps the SW pressure sensor (about ?40 over here)
As an example...I have a similar boat. She cruises at 26/28 mph GPs at around 2400 rpm and at 20 litres of fuel per hour. Outstanding !
Try doing that with an equivalent 260hp older 5.7 4 barrel carb !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If you go for it...
Of course change the oil (quicksilver synthetic blend 20w-40)
Change the drive oil (quicksilver high performance) and check the lower screw magnet for excessive metal shavings. Replace both seals.
Oil filter (quicksilver high performance)
Fuel filter (quicksilver)
Stick her air filter in soapy water over night then spray with wd-40
Fresh fuel and a wee dose of fuel treatment to be kind
Check the temp comes up to about 160-170 at speed, 150 odd cruising. If over change thermo stat.
She will likely have a 1.47 gear ratio if the boat is under 21ft. Likely a 19" black max prop standard.
Rpm flat out and trimmed out should be between 4600-5000 rpm.
All the best.

tpenfield

Staff member
An MPI engine that has been sitting for 7-8 years will be interesting.

The key thing would be to see if the engine will start before you make a commitment to buy. Hopefully the seller will be accommodating . . .

Definitely remove the spark plugs and shoot some oil into the cylinders, then 'spin' the engine with the starter while the plugs are out until you get some oil pressure at the gauge.

Put the plugs in and see if it will come to life.

Also you need to know a bit about how the marina winterized the engine/boat. Was it drained in all areas or just run anti-freeze through it. (are you in an area that gets cold temperatures during winter?) See if any of the core plugs on the engine block are pushed out, etc. Also look for hairline cracks on the exhaust manifolds, etc.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good info.

I'm in a freeze zone.

I'm getting the feeling that this would be a high stakes gamble where I could make out real well or get screwed. Using the tips provided will help change the odds of the gamble but still a gamble. Not sure I'm up for a gamble unless I could get it even cheaper than the below market price. If I run into problems, not only do I lose money but time (the whole season could go by fast).

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
A like-new Cobalt that's pristine and has a (possibly) suspect engine as it's only fault? I'd be sorely tempted to take a chance on it, especially if you can get it at a good price.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Around here Cobalts generally sell above blue book type prices. I usually buy boats for below market that have some sort of issue, so that I can fix them, use them, sell for a small profit and start over. Helps me keep as new a boat as possible. So, can you buy the boat for a figure that's a complete engine swap below market?

In other words, using pretend figures, (insert actual figures where applicable) if the boat would otherwise be worth $20,000, and a complete engine swap (or other "worst case") costs $5,000, can you buy the boat below $15,000? Or even lower? Then it's definitely worth the risk. Maybe, it needs a $1000 worth of maintenance and you use it for a couple of years, and sell it for $15,000. Definitely....