Boating in the Brine

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Planning a move to the Florida Keys so naturally I am looking at all kinds of boats. Both fresh and salt water. Question: what needs to be done to the engine/cooling systems when putting a fresh water boat into salt water? The same question pops up when putting a salt water boat into fresh water ? I've always been a fresh water fisherman (outboards) so I know nothing about salt water boat engines (inboards) and their various systems.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You hi-jacked a 15 month old thread, askin' the exact opposite of that thread's topic, So I gave ya yer own thread,......

Please follow Our postin' rules, 'n guidelines posted at the top of the main forum page,...

Thank you,...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, other than the hype from advertising, and a few more stainless steel parts on "saltwater outboards", there is no difference. No difference at all on a lot of sterndrives and inboards. The owner needs to do more maintenance on salty boats.

You can get a fresh-water cooling (FWC) system for sterndrives. It has it good points, but does cost a good deal more. The blocks tend to last long enough in fresh or salt water, but the FWC manifolds will last longer than RWC manifolds.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
That clears up the mystery for me. Thanks for taking the time to reply.