BOATING FROM DULUTH MN TO MADELINE ISLAND WI

I Am trying to plan some boating trips for the summer. Has anyone one here made the trek from Duluth MN to Madeline Island WI? If so, What's the best route, time of year, and fun spots to go?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
after June when the ice is out in Duluth, and before September when it freezes up again.

other than that, watch the weather, hug the shore and follow the depth charts

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
What Scot said. The lake can change in an instant. Many people take that same trip, I haven't. Check in at Barkers island marina and ask around there. Also are you planning to stay someplace at the island or Bayfield? Gather up all your reservations and such before you start out. I know Washburn Marina is booked rater full much of the time, but guest dockage can be had for a couple days. The marinas at the island I'm not sure how full they get but since covid the lake/area has been rather busy. Not trying to discourage you, this area is beautiful!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What size boat ?-----Twin engine ?----How many years experience boating in big open water ?----Traveling with another boat ?

What size boat ?-----Twin engine ?----How many years experience boating in big open water ?----Traveling with another boat ?
30 ft chris craft, twin 305s, grew up on all lakes but only a few times on superior, not traveling with another boat. Does anyone know how long it would take going like 25MPH?

What Scot said. The lake can change in an instant. Many people take that same trip, I haven't. Check in at Barkers island marina and ask around there. Also are you planning to stay someplace at the island or Bayfield? Gather up all your reservations and such before you start out. I know Washburn Marina is booked rater full much of the time, but guest dockage can be had for a couple days. The marinas at the island I'm not sure how full they get but since covid the lake/area has been rather busy. Not trying to discourage you, this area is beautiful!
We would probably stay at Madeline Island Marina. still deciding.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So can you go between those islands or are you planning on going all the way around.------Plan on a 10 hr trip I think.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just checked the world wide chart here.----Yes , you can go between the islands.----I myself would not go through the islands at 25 mph.----You would miss all the scenery !

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Take at least two weeks and explore the islands, camp either on an island where it's allowed or on the boat. Watch nthe weather well, you can go to an opposite side of an island if a storm is brewing, or go to the mainland harbor. You won't be dissapointed.