Boating Etiquette 101

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating Etiquette 101

All of my friends are really polite. They offer to pay for gas, they bring food and refreshments, and they don't overstay their welcome. Since I don't have to worry about rude or ignorant behavior, my Rules are as follows:

1. I give a 1 minutes safety brief everytime I leave the dock. Listen to it.
2. The wench has the final say. We won't do anything she doesn't want to do.
3. If I let you drive, do exactly what I say, when I say.
4. Don't laugh at me or rib jab me when I refuse to drink more than 2 beers. Someone has got to drive us home!
5. Don't complain about my boat. It's pretty damn nice for being 22 years old and $3000.
6. No rap music. No country music. Rock and heavy metal are pretty much the only thing allowed out of the stereo.
7. If you insist on wearing a bikini, don't get upset when I stare.
7a. If you insist on wearing a bikini, don't get upset when I seek out rough waters and hi speed.
8. Don't ask for ride home if you drank too much and you live in the complete opposite direction as me.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

We have come to realize that all our friends have dogs at home. That means when they drop food on the floor, they have a little bio-vacuum just waiting to clean up after them. When they come on the boat, they drop food, and don't even think about the fact that their little tenders are not with them, and that the next thing they're about to do is grind that dropped food into the carpet.

We're going to have to address that one.

oldjeep

Admiral

My only rules are
1) Don't try to grab the dock - keep your hands in the boat, we'll take care of it
2) Have fun

That is about it.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If we invite people on our boat, we don't expect anything of them other than their friendship, which we already have if we're inviting them out for the day. Our friends wouldn't mess up our boats and they aready know to have their kids wear pfd's. I certainly wouldn't be upset if a buddy offered to pay for some gas, but I have no expectation of it and it doesn't bother me at all if they don't offer. I invited them, after all. We don't invite people over for dinner and then expect them to pay for half the groceries, either.

tpenfield

Staff member

I got this placard from my kids at Christmas . . . it kinds of sums it up . . .

IMG_2181.jpg

I'll have to find a nice place to hang it on the boat . . .

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Also, don`t expect me to run you back to the dock in the middle of the day, be prepared to stay for awhile.

I agree with this rule, don't come boating with me if you have a schedule to keep. I might stay out into the early morning if it's a beautiful day.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rule #1- The Captain is always right !!!

Rule #2- When in doubt, refer back to Rule #1 !!!
That's pretty much they way it works on my boat. The rules vary by the parties that are attending. Some have good sense some don't.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

My only rules are
1) Don't try to grab the dock - keep your hands in the boat, we'll take care of it
2) Have fun

That is about it.

That sums up my rules too.......

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

IF you invite him again,, bring a cowboy too. :joyous:

My wife and I had some friends up to the cabin last summer for the day. There were two couples with two small kids each. With me and my wife and two of my kids, who are older, this made for 12 people out on the toon for the day. Its a 25' and they are small kids so there was plenty of room.

One of the families is from India and generally have no knowledge of the water. What I did was to get all four visiting kids together right before we left the dock for a briefing. I spoke loudly as to inform the parents of the expectations as well. Which were very simple.
1) On the boat, I am in charge - you need to ask permission from me to move
2) stay in your seat while underway
3) lifejackets stay on until we beach or dock
4) do not stand on the furniture
5) stay still while docking and do not help unless asked

The kids were fine and followed the rules. the indian dad on the other hand was standing in front of me, walking back and forth taking pictures, and not sitting down at all. I took him aside as to not embarass him and straightened him out. I still don't think he got it.