Boating Basics 101

TTU_Guy

Seaman Apprentice
After learnking (yeah, I just made that up) here for a while I am awaiting delivery of my first boat ('94 Cajun w/ 150xp Evinrude). I have found TONS of great information on maintenance, repair, safety, and even launching. Thanks for all of the great help.<br /><br />What I havn't been able to find is how to properly drive a boat. I frequently see posts of horror stories of people "driving on the wrong side of the lake" or even not knowing that you can push the key in for the choke. Is there any good primers/guides for boatmanship? Most of what I have found is geared towards large saltwater rigs and not your average inland lake weekender. <br /><br />I would venture to guess that there is a lot of us out here who enter into the boating world with a used boat and no experience. Does anyone know of some online materials that could make the waterways safer for everyone and help us all gain experience? I know that there is no substitute for on-water instruction or marine safety classes, but how about an online starter?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating Basics 101

General rule of the road is to keep to the right side, just as in driving. On an open lake this is interpreted as a counterclockwise traffic flow. There are several sites on boating safety and tips. www.BoatSafe.com is one. Here is another thread on this topic - new to this boating game <br /><br />Kelly Cook

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy a set of charts for where you want to boat and learn to read them. They tell you were the channel runs, what the low tide level is in feet, etc. For a big lake, they'll tell pretty much the same, where danger and submerged items are, what the water level is in feet, etc.<br /><br />Also, go to http://www.boat-ed.com/ and take the boating safety course for your state. You only have to pay after you take it for the safety card. You can use the site over and over again without doing that just to learn.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Always ask other local boaters at the body of water you are at for their advice ...they'll be honored to fill you in on the things to know and to watch out for.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a boating safety course, U.S. Power Squadren, or Coast Guard Aux. They are worth the time, everybody learns something from them. Go out on the boat with some one who knows boats, take him fishing or just for a ride. Ask a lot of questions, go on other peoples boats, & ask a lot of questions, don't be afraid to tell someone you want to learn why & how things are done. Good Luck, Have Fun, Joe