Boating at night to watch fireworks

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Boating at night to watch fireworks

Yup,this is spot on, Here on the river we have had people capsized from all the idiots running hard back to port all at one time. And yes people have drowned.

I suggest if you have not been out at night, go a few times before the 4th show. Do not use your spot light unless it is to check for shoreline or debris in the water. Just using it will blind you and other boaters that are close. Or simply go with someone with experience this year to see what to do. Boating at night is my favorite time to go, it is very peaceful, but it won't be around the 4th!By the waY, YOUR SPOT LIGHT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DIRECTLY INTO ANOTHER BOATS VEIW TO BLIND THEM.
Locate your spot and anchor before dark. After the display, kick back and enjoy another beer while the lunatics all make a mad dash for the ramps / docks.

chriscraft254

Commander

Ohh, and make sure you take plenty of food and drinks with you so you don't have to move from your spot once anchored. Don't forget to turn the anchor light on after dark.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing to do is take it slow. I see people going full tilt in pitch black conditions. There is no need to be going that fast. Steerage speeds are perfectly fine at night.

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Be sure and have a set of replacement bulbs for nav lights and the tools to change it on the spot

I went out one night just before sunset turned the nav lights on wife looked and all light where working
went for a ride and my bulb on the bow nav light blew and I did not even notice it

got pulled DNR was nice but it is a 550.00 fine here showed them that I had a replacement he allowed me to change it and DNR was glad that we were prepared
sent me on my way no ticket

Harry

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do not use a spot light, it will not help you.

Avoid using a GPS plotter as you will glue your eyes to it and not be watching where your boat is going. If you want to do this, you watch out the front windshield and let another person on your boat drive the line on the plotter. If you let your friend watch out the front, you will hit something.........becuase they don;t own the boat, and do not care.

Also run just a tad above idle, if you hit somthing the damage is survivable.