Boating at night to watch fireworks

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
My city does a firework show every year off a bridge that is a mile from our boat ramp. I would like to go out ,anchor up and watch it from my stingray 185 with my wife and 2 kids. How do you navigate at night? Do you just use a spotlight or install some kind of head lights to the bow? What are safety issues to look out for? Any advise?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boating at night to watch fireworks

We bring a flood lamp and go slow and in the middle of the channel. Make sure all your navigation lights work. Also, you might get back out your boater's safety stuff and relearn what the red and green navigation lights indicate.

When we did the fireworks on Tims Ford Lake, leaving was a large convoy of boats moving in lock step. It was pretty neat. Luckily, no drunks were anywhere near us.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You will need to have a handheld light aboard to confirm potential obstructions, but don't use it continuously. It will blind other boaters and won't help you navigate at all. Once your eyes become accustomed to the darkness you'll be fine (until someone shines a light in your face:rolleyes:). Just be sure your all around and navigation lights are up to par and you're good to go.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lake we frequent does July 4th fireworks and we got a camp site right across lake to watch one year. I've never seen so many boats on the lake before! The "sea" of red/green nav lights was really neat to see.

After it was over, everybody started running back to the various ramps and campgrounds. It was a mad house! We counted no less than 10 blue lights going off by DNR within next 30 mins. If your lake gets this crowded be careful and watch out for those that don't respect their responsibilities!

hd883chopper

Seaman Apprentice

We counted no less than 10 blue lights going off by DNR within next 30 mins. If your lake gets this crowded be careful and watch out for those that don't respect their responsibilities!

Just curious, the blue lights by DNR...is that Wildlife and Fisheries (aka water police)?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Fireworks from the water is best! Lake Tahoe has a few great shows. On Tahoe the Placer county sheriff will pull over boats that break plane. I guess there is some sort of law that states going fast enough to plane after dark is unsafe.

Bring blankets!
My wife waiting for darkness and the show to start.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 6216_1080158806634_1306202166_30201746_4573696_n.jpg
    6216_1080158806634_1306202166_30201746_4573696_n.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Watching the fireworks is great, unfortunately all of the garbage that washes up onshore during the days after is a PITA!!!!!........oh yeah and it's also good at plugging water inlets.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I concur with Bubba. We plan on being on Lake Ray Hubbard here in Dallas, TX for the 4th of July fireworks......looking forward to it.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I lived in the Florida Keys, we used to watch the fireworks off of White Street pier in Key West. When the fireworks were over, all the boats went into the channel at the same time. It was chaotic to say the least.

Just be careful, especially with the flashlight. You can blind others as well as blind yourself with that thing which potentially could cause an accident.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one of those cheap garmin hand held navigations. I didn't even buy the map pack, I just map my way there and avoid all the obstuctions and stay centered and follow my line back. Flood lights are good for crab pots but you dont need to worry about that in a lake. You'd be supprised how good your night vision gets after the dots from the fireworks go away haha

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Locate your spot and anchor before dark. After the display, kick back and enjoy another beer while the lunatics all make a mad dash for the ramps / docks.

That's the best advice yet. The admiral was mad at me the first time I employed that tactic, but she got over it quick when she saw the scrum we avoided by chilling for just a few more minutes.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Never use headlights or worse, flood lights, while operating at night, unless you are totally alone way up in the swamp looking for logs and such.
Never shine a light at another boat above the waterline.
Learn where your unlit channel markers are, and hit them briefly with a flashlight or spot.
Have your sounding device handy.
In very dark situations, cover your dashboard lights. Kill all interior lights. Dim your radio and GPS.

As for anchoring to watch the fireworks--I did that last year in the bay--and I suggest doing a little more than the single white "anchor" light--they were impossible to spot. Without shining anything at others, I think you should have something more to illuminate the boat. One bulb on a 32' cruiser does nothing, but a light against the hull or top structure would be perfect.
And be sure NOT to leave your running (bow) lights on while anchored. Few boaters around here know that.

blifsey

Just curious, the blue lights by DNR...is that Wildlife and Fisheries (aka water police)?

Yes, the Georgia Deptarment of Natural Resources game wardens are primary water police (or "wa-po" as opposed to "po-po" my daughter said). Some local sheriff depts also have water patrol but mostly state DNR.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make sure you run the correct legal lights. Understand how to read what direction a boat is headed by looking at the lights at night. Watch out for someone else being foolish.
Sadly one man was killed when this Campion parked itself inside the houseboat after watching summer fireworks in the middle of the night. There were questions about who had what lights on but the end result was fatal and the bowrider was obviously traveling faster than it should have. It was on a big lake and both operators were familiar with the area.

Attachments

• Capture7-5-2010-7.07.46 AM.jpg
    Capture7-5-2010-7.07.46 AM.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Just for added effect...the spotlight is there ONLY to identify channel markers. The navigational lights on the boats identify them. Don't hit the other boats with your light.

sbooy42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Locate your spot and anchor before dark. After the display, kick back and enjoy another beer while the lunatics all make a mad dash for the ramps / docks.

I agree. We have a big firework show every year. We use to anchor close to the river mouth and fight the crowd. Now we anchor closer to the fireworks and just hang out for a few and catch the tail end of the madness....

We always bring a spot light ... saved us last year. They use 2 pontoon barges to launch the fireworks from and we almost hit one last year because they were driving them in with no lights...

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

We have a great Fireworks show EVERY Friday Night at 930PM from Memorial Day till Labor Day on Lake Grapevine courtesy of the Gaylord Texan Resort.:cool: And a humongous 4th oh July show.
The lake is crowed with boats-all kinds--a sea of lights. We are lucky that because we are in the center between Dallas & Ft Worth and directly North of DFW Airport it never gets dark on the horizon.

This is the 3rd year and we have had no real incidents- mostly people's anchors dragging & they drift too close to another boat. LEOs patrol but only stop the occasional jack wad.:facepalm:
DO NOT SHINE A SPOT LIGHT AT ANOTHER BOAT !!!! they will be tempoaryly unable to see. Use common sence ( I know uncommon) and take it easy. Have Fun!:D

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be aware, be alert. Don't let the pretty fireworks be a distraction. Shoreline lights in some instances will make you blend-in with the shoreline. I have used a spot-light as a defensive tool more than once, give them a flash, if no response, warm thier forehead, they will usually back-off, or wake-up at that point.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

We're doing the lake fireworks for the first time this year. We have a slip for the week so we don't have to worry about loading the boat up that night. It should be intersting as anchoring in that area is difficult as the water is about 600 feet deep where they do the fireworks.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's my plan this year. Last year I had to wait for my friend who is usually late, so we got out too late to get a good anchorage, and as soon as the fireworks were over I started motoring back with all the other boats. This year it's just going to be me and the little lady, so we will get there plenty early and stay plenty late to let all the others get out of my way.

soggy_feet

Make sure you run the correct legal lights. Understand how to read what direction a boat is headed by looking at the lights at night. Watch out for someone else being foolish.
Sadly one man was killed when this Campion parked itself inside the houseboat after watching summer fireworks in the middle of the night. There were questions about who had what lights on but the end result was fatal and the bowrider was obviously traveling faster than it should have. It was on a big lake and both operators were familiar with the area.

I remember reading that article... what you didnt mention was that the speedboat had something like 20+ empty beer cans in it.

So, be well lit with the appropriate lights, but not well lit on drinks.