Boating 101+4½ - ANSWER

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Boating 101+4½ - ANSWER

Still think it's a submarine.<br /><br /> We'd know if Mr. Rabbit would you be so kind as to provide us with the correct answers? :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br />Still think it's a submarine.<br /><br /> We'd know if Mr. Rabbit would you be so kind as to provide us with the correct answers? :p
OH NOOOOOOO, that would be to easy. He wants me to make my brain hurt again. Well that don't take much, but still..........

Drowned Rat

Captain

POINTER94, It's all good. It's supposed to be fun. Rabbit's just poking fun at me for my "Inverted Sea Plane" post. I think he means that Boating 101 is not for really obscure rarely used or seen rules. You know, like "special wartime provisions for ships sailing in convoy". He's just giving us straight forward "NavRules" right out of the book. It's a good way to learn. For reference, a 90% or better is required on the NavRules section to get your Captain's license. It's a hard test. :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

DR,<br /><br />I agree, as a boating forum we should have one of these everyday. It is always interesting to see how others can interpret things. That which goes unused frequently gets forgotten. Hell I pulled out my chapmans and my duttons and I still can't answer this one with any certainty.<br /><br />Oh yea, I knew you were just funnin'. When I am really mad I start my posts "Dear Plywoody". <br /><br />It's raining here and the dog is asleep and the girlfriend is out of town. Watch basketball and talk boats, I hope this day never ends.... :)

18rabbit

Captain

All military vessels, including submarines, may be exempt from the Inland Navigation Rules; Rule 1c. Civilian owned submarines are subject to the Rules. There are no Rules regarding the display of navigation lighting on a fully submerged vessel. A submarine at surface is required to display the same navigation lighting as any other power-driven vessel of the same vessel length, as defined in Rule 23.<br /><br />Rule 23a - A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit:<br />(i)a masthead light forward<br />(ii)a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters (164 feet) in length shall be obliged to exhibit such light but may do so.<br />(iii)sidelights; and<br />(iv)a sternlight.<br /><br />ANSWER <br /><br />In the example above, the vessel with the flashing yellow light is a hovercraft underway. If it were not under way, the flashing yellow light would not be exhibited. The other vessel with the single white all-around light is a vessel under oars. They are in the vicinity of each other.<br /><br />Rule 23b – An air-cushion vessel when operated in the non-displacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in 23a, exhibit an all-around flashing yellow light where it can best be seen.<br /><br />A vessel at anchor is required to show a single white, all-around light; Rule 30 – Anchored Vessels:<br /><br />Rule 30b – A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-around white light where it can best be seen… <br /><br />However, in the example above, the vessel with a single white all-around light is stated as being underway, not at anchor. There are no sidelights displayed. This is the appropriate display of navigation lighting for a sailing vessel of less than 7 meters (23 feet) or a vessel of any length under oars. Because we know the vessel to “appear about 30 feet in length” it is not a sailing vessel...a sailing vessel of that length would also exhibit sidelights. If sidelights were exhibited, we would not know if the vessel was a sailboat or a rowboat.<br /><br />Rule 25d(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.<br /><br />We know the two vessels are in the vicinity of each other because the oar-boat is exhibiting navigation lighting, without sidelights. If the two vessels were not in the vicinity of each other, the vessel under oars would not exhibit any navigational lighting.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rabbit,<br /><br />I am living in the old days, my chapmans call out the following:<br /><br />"Submarine Special Lights: The normal navigation lights of submarines have been found to be easily mistaken for theose of small craft whereas actually submarines are large, deep-draft vessels with limited maneuverability when they are on the surface. In accordance with International rule 13(a) and inland article 13 the display of a special distinctive light by U.S. Naval subarines in international and inland waters of the U.S. has been authorized. this light is in addition to all other lights prescribed by law or reg.<br /><br />The distinctive light for submarines is an amber rotating light producing 90 flashes per minute all around the horizon to a distance of at least three miles. the light will be located not less than two feet nor more than six feet above the masthead navigation light."<br /><br />Granted my book is from the early 70's and things change. I could be wrong but you may want to verify.<br /><br />Hats off to you Drowned Rat, good call!! :)

sloopy

Commander

I thought it was a commercial hovercraft? Or is it just any old boring hovercraft?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Looked up the sub deal in chapmans 63rd ed. <br /><br />To prevent collisions, along with normal nav lights, subs have a special distinctive beacon: an all around flashing amber (yellow) light with a sequence of 1 flash per second for 3 seconds, followed by by a 3 second period of darkness.. (This is morse code for "S" for submarine)

18rabbit

Captain

The International Navigation Rules came into being in 1972 as the Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (72 COLREGS). The International Rules we use today were ratified by treaty in 1977 and last updated in 1989. They apply only outside the lines of demarcation.<br /><br />The Inland Navigation Rules came into being in the 1800’s and were ratified by Congress with passage of the Motorboat Act of 1940. They were a mess and by 1960 efforts were under way to clean them up. After the ratification of the 72 COLREGS, new efforts were undertaken to harmonize the two sets of Rules. The Inland Navigation Rules we use today was completed when Congress passed the1980 Inland Navigation Rules Act. They apply only inside the lines of demarcation.<br /><br />Except for one major and very few minor differences, the two sets of Rules are virtually identical. The Rule's numbers are identical. The major difference is Annex 5 – Pilot Rules exists as part of the Inland Rules but does not exist in the 72 COLREGS.<br /><br />The flashing yellow light required on a hovercraft is an example of a minor difference in the rules:<br />- 72 COLREGS Rule 23b: …exhibit an all-around flashing yellow light. <br />- Inland Rules 23b: …exhibit an all-around flashing yellow light where it can best be seen. <br /><br />A flashing navigation light is defined as 120 flashes per minute; Rule 21f. Also, ONLY found in the Inland Rules is Rule 21g: which is a “special flashing light” defined as a yellow flashing light with a frequency between 50 and 70 flashed per minute and used to mark towed vessels, inside the line of demarcation. Once a towed vessel crosses outside the line of demarcation, the special flashing lights must not be exhibited anymore.<br /><br />Rule 24g regulates navigation lighting for an inconspicuous, partially submerged vessel, but only when it is being towed. Fwiw, the lights are white all-around.<br /><br />The military may mark or unmark their vessels at anytime as they see fit. Any requirement of a yellow flashing light on any military vessel is well beyond the scope of either set of Rules.<br /><br />The Rules I have are current and contains any corrections and Notice to Mariners thru December 2003.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thanks rabbit,<br /><br />Although, I have never seen an active sub on the water, I did see a sub almost everyday for 20 years. This little beauty is berthed in Manitowoc Wisconsin and is one of the best museums you could want to visit on great lakes lore. The Cobia is of special interest to the area as we were one of the largest producers of subs during WWII.<br /><br />Have a look: http://www.wimaritimemuseum.org/ <br /><br />Thanks for the update, even though you crushed my belief that I would be able to spot anyone stealing the cobia..... :) <br /><br />I got my copy of Chapmans when I was about 10, I guess I could buy one a little more current. But it has been so good thoughout the years..... ;)