Boating 101+4½ - ANSWER

18rabbit

Captain
It is after sunset and getting dark but you can still discern two separate and unrelated vessels underway in the distance. Both vessels appear about 30-ft in length.<br /><br />1- One vessel is displaying the usual red and green sidelights, and the usual white masthead and stern lights, and an additional yellow flashing light. Is this an appropriate display of navigation lighting and if so, what do you know about this vessel?<br /><br />2- The other vessel is displaying only a single white all-around light. Is this an appropriate display of navigational lighting and of so, what do you know about this vessel?

sloopy

Commander
Re: Boating 101+4½ - ANSWER

I know what it is, but I have to take a shower, so I will answer when I get back, OR I will just copy someone!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

#1 is a surfaced submarine...<br /><br />#2 could be the masthead light of a vessel moving away from you, where the vessls sidelights are'nt visible

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by SLOOPY:<br />I know what it is, but I have to take a shower, so I will answer when I get back, OR I will just copy someone!
Good answer SLOOPY, I like that. :D

18rabbit

Captain

Sloopy’s been the shower for six hours now. What could he possibly be doing in there? :D :D :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />Sloopy’s been the shower for six hours now. What could he possibly be doing in there? :D :D :D
Now almost 12 hours. Me thinks SLOOPY may have slipped and hit his head. :D

tylerin

Commander

Now almost 12 hours. Me thinks SLOOPY may have slipped and hit his head. <br />
Anything over 4 hours and you need to contact your physician :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

I'll try the #2 boat first. This boat is at anchor and this is an appropriate light configuration. <br /><br />The first boat. Hmmmmmm.<br />I want to agree with snapperbait. <br /><br />A red and yellow flasher is commercial salvage.<br /><br />Two yellow flashers is a purse seiner restricted by her gear.<br /><br />One yellow flasher? It denotes special operations. Is it a Mine Dredge engaged in mine clearing? Could be a sub. Could be a hover craft in non-displacement mode. <br /><br />Good one 18rabbit.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Now that i think about it, #2 could be a powerboat with a single white all-round light... Under certain circumstances, I think that a single all-around light for a powerboat that's underway is ok...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Rabbit,<br /><br />I can only think of one scenerio. The first question's answer is a surfaced submarine.<br /><br />The second goes to your first post, in which a rowboat is displaying a "lantern", In which case I hope it is a sculling crew cuz thats moving. So to your question what do we know about this vessel, is it that it is unpowered? <br /><br />Or are you proposing a tow from a sub????

Drowned Rat

Captain

Rabbit said the boat appeared 30' in length. 1 all around white light on a boat that size can be only one thing. A boat at anchor.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

There are special wartime provisions for ships sailing in convoy or with special permission from the government... <br /><br />But rabbit wouldn't do that to us. Or would he? :rolleyes:

18rabbit

Captain

Boating 101 !!! Common things. Things not unlikely to be encountered by a beginning boater. Things that would not surprise you to see them. Things that a beginning boater should know. No trick questions, no monsters, no upside down airplanes, no 12-hours in a shower… :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I guess that I am way out of line cuz we haven't seen a submarine on the great lakes since WWII. Which means I have never seen a submarine on the great lakes... :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br />I guess that I am way out of line cuz we haven't seen a submarine on the great lakes since WWII. Which means I have never seen a submarine on the great lakes... :p
Me neither POINTER.<br />Never have seen a sub at Dale Hollow. :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

Who said it was a sub? I don't think that's what it is. It's a Hover Craft.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Mr. D. Rat,<br /><br />You may be right. But then again I have never seen a hovercraft on the great lakes either. I am personally being thrown by the Boating 101 tag assigned earlier. Got me thinkin' :cool: