boat

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a boat like i've been looking for one to go out into the gulf with..just dont know if its a good deal or if it might be too cheap if you know what i mean (falling apart due to age etc.) here is a link to it

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/968539962.html

the guy said he had it out about 3 months ago all it needs is the air breather/cover over the carbs (have to buy one he doesnt have it) and the fuel tank cleaned and fuel line hooked up....what do you figure it is worth ?? i know i'm not giving you much to go on but this is all i know of at this moment...i will definately check the motor and floor/transom before i think about buying just wondering if its too old or too cheap thanks again Jason

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat

I don't see no bow stop on the trailer....

A nice ATV can run around $3000 to $6000, so that $6000 is probably what he is asking.

You'll just half to do the basic checks for rot on the deck and transom. See if the floor has any give in it etc, listen for cracking when you walk :eek:. Knock on the transom to see if the fiberglass gives, if the fiberglass bows in there is most likely rot, listen to the sound of the while knocking on the transom.

You know you don't half to have the fuel tank hooked up to run the motor, if you have a long enough hose you can have a bottle or tank of some kind to run the hose to. So if he claims he can't run the motor because the gas tank isn't hooked then something else is wrong with it, or he just wasn't thinking about an external made up fuel tank. Do a compression check on the motor if at all possible.

We have an older (1975) 22ft boat up back that seems solid, so don't let age scare you.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i asked him for more pics of the trailer from what i can see it makes me want to believe its homemade, no fenders, no bow stop,dont know where he hiding the lights lol...i will do the compression check and lower gear oil check etc...thanks again i appreciate it

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Just another little tip.....> If you see an army of ants in the boat, that can also be a sign of rot happening somewhere. I'm sure it is warm enough that the ants are still out down there as well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.