Boat Wiring Help Needed!

slipperyshrimp

Recruit
I am looking to under take my first big wiring project on my boat and could really use some feedback on the setup in the attached diagram.

1. Can I have two house batteries like in the diagram? Basically, will the ACR's then treat the two house batteries as one big battery? I’m concerned about them being properly charged. To my understanding the starting batteries will just get topped off quickly, and the alternators (two 55amp alternators) or two bank on board charger will then charge the house batteries. Is this correct?

2. In the drawing I put in the fuses - Are these the correct size fuses? 100A on each side of the ACR Positives, and then 15A on the negatives?

3. Is it correct to tie all the Negative terminals on the batteries together? (Two starting + Two house batteries).

4. I was planning on using all 2/0 cable between the acr's, even if this is a little bit overkill, there is no downside to using too heavy of wire if everything is fused correctly, right?

I appreciate any and all feedback! This will be my first major wiring project so I just want to make sure I have this all drawn out correctly before I start

Attachments

• BA6E2B54-041C-485D-B05E-EC044D6FA237.jpeg
    BA6E2B54-041C-485D-B05E-EC044D6FA237.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

alldodge

Staff member
1. Putting Bats in parallel is no issue to the ACR, just makes it a bigger bat. You have 2 ACRs both charging the house bats, and I would not do that. Use only one side. I would use a 3 bank charger instead of 2.

2. Your ALT is 55A so 100A is more then enough on positives, but IMO having only 1 on one side would protect the other Bat. The ACR needs a fuse on the Neg connection but that is only 1A not 15

3. Yes all Neg connect together

4. If the connections are no more then 6 feet away and your fuse is 100A 4AWG is large enough. That said your ALT only outputs 55A so using that figure then 6AWG will handle up to 70A

Your Gen is connected to the Port motor, I would use the Starboard side for the ACR. When Gen is running the Bat charger can be turned ON

slipperyshrimp

Recruit
Thanks for the reply!

Why wouldn't you use two ACR's? At this point the generator needs some repairs so I don't plan on using it much

A three bank charger would be better than a two bank, but a two bank would suffice? (i'm assuming it would just take longer to charge)