Boat weight capacity plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
I’m re working a old pontoon boat and the weight capacity plate is sun bleached to the point that it’s not readable.
Also what to mount the controls where the plate is currently..

My question is
1. If the original plate is worn out is it a requirement to replace it?
2. How does one go about getting a new one?
3. Who makes the decision about the weight capacity on the new plate if the old one isn’t readable?
Thanks everyone!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
What's the LOA of your boat? I believe if it's over 20' you don't need one.
Hey everyone,
I’m re working a old pontoon boat and the weight capacity plate is sun bleached to the point that it’s not readable.
Also what to mount the controls where the plate is currently..

My question is
1. If the original plate is worn out is it a requirement to replace it?
2. How does one go about getting a new one?
3. Who makes the decision about the weight capacity on the new plate if the old one isn’t readable?
Thanks everyone!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Technically you need one. Is the manufacturer of your boat still around? If you can at least read the spec's maybe you can find a company that make metal placards. It depends on your situation I wouldn't even worry about it.

It’s 18ft. It’s a 1997 Grumman 18FNF

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine is completely missing, or I haven't found it. I'm just gonna hope for forgiveness if I ever get stopped and they do that thorough of a check. I haven't had a need to wonder if I'm nearing the limit as I usually have extra seats. Always if you count the bow. PO said he had 9 people on it once.

A pontoon may be a little more sensitive to overloading, or maybe just distribution of weight side to side - IDK for sure.

Jermy-Jinky

Seaman
I wouldn't go by seat count...my boat has enough seats for 9-10 people, but the plate clearly states it has a 5 person capacity. Also, don't go by person count, you should always go by the weight capacity (don't forget to include the weight of any extra items you bring on board). I've seen a lot of people way overload their boats by doing just that. Don't forget, fully loaded coolers weigh quit a bit.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Number of seats and weight... Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that having empty ones is the sole determiner of whether you're too heavy or not - but that's exactly what I did, heh.

I know there are airplanes with seats that you can't fill, if you're talking about all adults, full fuel and so forth. I'm over 200, and I KNOW I wouldn't want the seats filled with multiples of that. And I can't imagine having nine people on there, even kids. I'd rather stay home than do that, weight limit or not, lol.

PO gave me that rule of thumb estimation method but I'd forgotten all about it, until I saw the boat exam post. Good info.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Depending on your state, it may not even be required. My state has (or used to have, haven't checked lately) an interesting requirement. If the boat has a sticker, the limits are enforceable. If there is no sticker, it is 'safe and prudent'. But there is no law to actually require the sticker.

Perhaps research comparable boats and check their weight capacity. That should give you a pretty good estimate for your boat.

Lightly loaded boats are a pure joy to handle. Once you load them up to the weight capacity, they lose that handling sparkle. Plus your margin of safety is much diminished. And people start bumping into each other. In my opinion, you're better off keeping the load under 80% of the weight capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.