boat wax

Re: boat wax

I believe sweet addiction is recommending that one waxes their pool from time to time. And we all know, a pool is like a boat.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

"waxed" gelcoat is not used on any gelcoat that is sprayed against a mold. (like boat parts). Only when applying to a surface exposed to air. And the "wax" is is just parrifin disolved in styrene which migrates to the top during the exotherm of the gelcoat and seals the surface from air which inhibits the cure of the surface. Used to be called a "surfacing agent"back in the old days. Seems everyone just calls it wax these days.

A big thing in FLA are boat wraps. So if you have an older boat and the gel coat has faded away...wrap it. decal.JPG

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe sweet addiction is recommending that one waxes their pool from time to time. And we all know, a pool is like a boat.

Yes! A fiberglass pool shell is exactly like a boat. Fiberglass and gel coat that is exposed to large amounts of sun and at least in these colder climates... goes through a fair amount of flexing(frost heave).

This is one of those, learn something new everyday posts.... from a pool maintenance company:

Step 5

Restore a dull-looking fiberglass surface above your pool's water line by hand-buffing it with a heavy automotive polishing compound, using the cloth buffing pads. This polishing compound also will smooth away any minor scratches in the surface of the fiberglass. Follow up the polish by buffing the surface with fiberglass wax, using more cloth buffing pads.

So that should answer a few questions and the bottom line is you wax it...just like your boat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im not against protecting your gelcoat for the most part.

I personally dont see the need of waxing/sealing gel for the most part either. I know there are times where its the only choice.

I would suggest that using a "sealer" instead of a "wax" is better.

Remember also that "waxing" some of the high end marine paints will Void the warranty.

Sorry for the confusion and/or upsetting anyone.

Peace out.

YD.

Heck YD...your heart is always in the right place and I am glad you are here to keep me straight.

Thalasso

Commander

Logically waxing a boat is a waste of time other then giving you that warm fuzzy feeling. Wax isn't going to stay on long in hot temps were the boat is exposed constantly to the weather. The best thing for protection is a straight polish. It seals the glass.(Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501).

Polish is a product that uses an abrasive action to remove very fine layers of the top coat protection to flatten out the surface to ensure and equal reflection of the light and creates a highly polished look. Basically, it removes imperfections allowing a smoother surface for waxes or sealants. As far as "hot temps" the top of my black truck gets hotter than any fiberglassed/gel coated boat that I have been on so that argument doesn't hold water...so to speak. Wax, on the other hand, seals the job done by polish--using one or the other is not a positive practice.

First one has to get there so to remove dirt and mild stains, fiberglass cleaners are available at marine supply stores—you should never use a household cleaner like Softscrub or Comet. Of the marine specialty cleaners, some have wax to protect the gelcoat. Most boating magazines I have read say you should apply two coats of a beeswax-based paste as a protective barrier coat and then a carnuba-based liquid wax to bring out the gloss.

Other sources mention the use of sealants which is fine depending on the circumstance. Some surfaces are simply too far gone for a conventional shine. My boat--30 years old--is dull and lifeless. The hull however is perfect. I cleaned the topside and applied a sealant and I can apply more coats or wax the sealant. The hull is simply polished (Collinite) and waxed. It's a 30 year old new boat...seriously.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks to some great suggestions from this board, I was able to cut the oxidation and chalk from a mildly neglected black hull on our boat after some major elbow grease and the correct compounds and polishers. Now that it looks new, there is NFW I would let it go without a proper sealant and wax to not only keep the shine, but make it very easy to keep clean and maintained with much less effort.

Most would recommend avoiding the high maintenance of a dark colored hull as it shows every imperfection, but the right preparation and products make it relatively low maintenance. While we do not get the heat in the Rockies that the Floridians do, the sun at 9,000' elevation is hugely intense. We also get hard water from the minerals here. Wax keeps both at bay, keeps the new look, and saves me hours of hard work.

IME, gelcoat is a you can pay me now or pay me later product. May as well take care of it, get your money's worth, and in the end save yourself some time and headache.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

but make it very easy to keep clean and maintained with much less effort.

That's the exact same logic I have. I have a '94 that has had a lot of use but still literately looks brand new and is so easy to clean i.e. keep the water spots off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Wax isn't going to stay on long in hot temps were the boat is exposed constantly to the weather.
Carnauba wax melts between 180-187 ?F If the surface of your boat exceeds those temps, you have bigger problems than melting wax. ;)

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^Agreed SA. In fact, we rarely if ever need to break out the electric buffer anymore, which takes time and sweat. We can either lay down a light, hand application of sealant and wax once or twice a season in less than an hour, or more commonly, use the spray detail stuff in a quick wipe on/wipe off effort. I've never had wax attract anything in any temp - as a surfactant, it repels. Easy peasy.

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

^Agreed SA. In fact, we rarely if ever need to break out the electric buffer anymore, which takes time and sweat. We can either lay down a light, hand application of sealant and wax once or twice a season in less than an hour, or more commonly, use the spray detail stuff in a quick wipe on/wipe off effort. I've never had wax attract anything in any temp - as a surfactant, it repels. Easy peasy.
Heck yeah! Less time screwing around and more time spent actually on the water enjoying the boat. :D