boat wax

newish

Cadet
im wondering what type of wax would be best for my boat? i have some wax for my truck but idk if itll mess up the gel coat?

Re: boat wax

Many will tell you Collinite

There are different types depending on the need. Your truck wax (automotive) will work. That said, I believe marine wax is designed for gel coat and your truck is probably clear coat. Look at it this way...Wesson is cooking oil but it's not car oil. Will it work as a lubricant in your engine? Sure but not as well as motor oil. Wax is the same--auto or marine or your shoes.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

IMHO .. there is NO gelcoat Wax.

Gel is too porous for wax of any kind.

Once you start waxing .. your forever beheld to it unless you do a proper Buff out job.

While cooking oil and car oil is agreed two completely different oils .. there are more waxes out there for boats/autos than you can shake a stick at. Oh .. and they all claim to be the best.

Proper buffing and finishing is all you need with gelcoat. Maintenance is required with slight polishing if you dont let your gel get hammered out due to lack of washing and rinsing if its left out in the elements ..

Just Me I guess though ..

YD.

Good points YD. And if you really want it done right, have it done by a pro. Granted...you can do it yourself, but only if you have the right tools and product.

Here's a link for you Newish

Boat waxing

I was interested until the guy said I would have to wax every 2 weeks to keep it shiny. Yeah...that ain't gonna happen.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Any good auto wax will work on and help gelcoat finish. They all have UV protecters in them and will help protect the gelcoat. Yes, the gelcoat had some UV protection built in but it doesn't last forever and a good coat of wax will help protect it. I don't understand that gelcoat is to porous for any kind of wax? Everyone waxes their gelcoated molds at the factory for release, no UV protection in those though. Now a days some are using polymer releases like SOLO or WOLO and many others, also not the same. I think "marine" wax is nearly the same thing as auto wax with a higher price tag. JMHO

Not to start a heated discussion, but with my owning a 30 year old boat and knowing the gelcoat is not up to the standard shine it was back in the day AND I don't want to wax every 2 weeks, I have shopped and searched around. Here's the deal. Poli Glow is an alternative, (even SSTV recommends it) but it is expensive at about $70 but it will last a very long time. I researched some more and found Red Max Pro ($15.00 at Lowe's) which is a floor product however...all indications and reviews state it's the same ingredient as Poli Glow. True? Dunno but perusing the other boat and RV sites many many many of them swear by this stuff and it's been applied for more than a year and in some example, longer. Just sayin what I am reading about options.

And yes...I know YD will disagree with this and I really appreciate his opinions. :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

floor wax--that's an interesting idea.

If you think about it, your auto body may be exposed to weather, but not much to hard contact. But all surfaces of a boat, and especially interior, have constant contact with the people and stuff that goes in a boat and the things it rubs against. As does a floor.

When it comes to waxing or other cosmetic maintenance, it's like cars, which some people wash, wax, towel dry and cover constantly, some as needed, some peiodically (wax once/twice a year; wash monthly/seasonally) and some never. How it's stored makes a huge difference: full sun, clean shade, dirty shade; outside air, salt air or inside air; sand/dust/pollen; covered/open.

About the only thing people agree on, is don't bother waxing the bottom!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

For the past 29 years I have been using a regular automotove paste wax on my garage kept fiberglass boat. I wax it once a year in the fall after winterizing. Three years ago I switched to Mequires liquid. I have a transom board that I take off every few years over winter to revarnish it. The gelcoat under it has never been exposed. The hull in every place shines just as well as the virgin spot under the transom board. Of course, the hull has never been allowed to chalk or fade, so its never needed to be "restored". Also, we wipe down the hull every time its put back on the trailer, so calcium buildup is almost non-existant.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

3m compound if needed to get the oxidation out
3m polish to get the shine you want (i use both kinds that 3m makes)
3m makes 2 polishes for boats
3m paste wax ultra to magnify the shine and help to keep the dirt from sticking

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was told by several boat detailers that a basic Carnuba wax works fine. He told me after its shiny, or before it fades, to get a good coat of wax on it, then do it again after a month, then after that twice a year. He said more often in a salt enviroment. He owns several boats himself and all from the 90s and older and all look like brand new. So I tend to beleive him.

JimS123 - I agree with you and if I had owned my 30 year old boat from the get go, that would be happening. And mnypitboat
is correct as well. But the trick is doing it from the start and protecting the boat with a cover. I like the method from captain zac but again, with my boat, I'd be out there every couple of weeks and that's not happening.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep my boat covered
I polish and wax 1 time each year unless i get a scratch or rub
I do the non skid with woody's 1 time a year
wash with woody's pine soap
always squeegie (sp) off all water drops

to polish 2 times and wax one time it takes me 12 beers
and if you do not drink beer then 4 hrs

Harry

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I was told by several boat detailers that a basic Carnuba wax works fine. He told me after its shiny, or before it fades, to get a good coat of wax on it, then do it again after a month, then after that twice a year. He said more often in a salt enviroment. He owns several boats himself and all from the 90s and older and all look like brand new. So I tend to beleive him.

My dealer's detailer told me never to use carnuba wax on a boat, as it will yellow the finish after time. So that is something I go by, and have never used carnuba based wax on any of our 4 boats. Flagship or 3M marine wax is all I have needed.

Chevy/Ford
Volvo/Merc

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My dealer's detailer told me never to use carnuba wax on a boat, as it will yellow the finish after time. So that is something I go by, and have never used carnuba based wax on any of our 4 boats. Flagship or 3M marine wax is all I have needed.

Chevy/Ford
Volvo/Merc

Were they trying to sell you something? Like I said, this particular detailer has several old boats that he keeps on the St Johns River(which is a nasty river) and they all look beautiful. I have used it on my boat for a while and no yellowing. So until I see otherwise, I will keep using it.