Boat wandering at slow speeds, videos attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Boat wandering at slow speeds, videos attached

This question has a really simple answer and it's one to do with boat building. There is a lot more to it than I have written, but I am trying to keep it short and sweet.

Traditionally boats have been built with a keel also known as a keelson to which the frame is attached. In addition they would be designed with a proportionate sized rudder. The keel is the key to straight line cruising at slow speeds. Displacement craft have keels in one form or another.

Take the keel away and the boat will wander, which is what is happening with sportsboats. If you were to add a keel to a fast sportsboat it could dig in when turning at high speed and flip the boat. The trade off is the boat design and therefore low speed handling.

Finally a slow speed engine powered displacement craft would have propellers before the rudders in order that the flow of water produced by them flows over the rudder to assist in straight line perfomance and turning. One of the biggest mistakes with the Titanic disaster was that the Captain threw the engines into reverse.....the only rudder control was from the ships energy. It would have turned a lot quicker with flank speed over the rudders.

A stern drive only has water flow over its shape and again at slow speeds there is not a lot of control. So a sportboat will sail with "Three Sheets To The Wind" an old sailing term where 3 of the sheets are loose and the ship wanders.!!

I hope this helps explain it.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Save your money on the smart tabs. Take two 5 gallon buckets and tie them off to each cleat on the aft end. Throw them in and watch how much straighter your boat goes. Of course with the added drag you have to give it more gas so it becomes more responsive. Then pull them in when you want to go fast. If your boat really needs smart tabs you bought a poorly designed product to start with.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen you drive your car and it's much worse than that. Don't worry about it.

DS_G

Cadet
Re: Boat wandering at slow speeds

That bow wander is common enough with stern drives. Mine had it bad last year. This year I added Smart Tabs and the wander is gone.
Same here. Smart Tabs cured the wandering on my 27’ Tahoe.

DS_G

Cadet

As a user of Smart Tabs I have to disagree with the first part of your statement that "Smart Tabs add nothing but more drag". They will correct the low speed wander, get you on plane faster with very little bow rise, keep you on plane at slower speeds, they do increase cruise speed and can increase wot speed a little, makes the boat handle rough water much better, you will also use less gas with Smart Tabs. They are easy to install and with a few test runs and adjustments you never have to touch them again.

I do agree with learning to not overcompensate steering to correct the wander, smaller steering adjustments or none at all is the way to go. It will still wander a little but not as bad as it does when you try an correct it.
When the boat wanders in one direction, the tab to the outside of the turn encounters more drag, which counters the turn. Smart Tabs cured 95% of the wandering on my 27’ Tahoe, even though I could only mount them 1/2 way up the transom.

DS_G

Cadet
Has anyone actually installed smart tabs and NOT noticed an improvement? My 27’ Tahoe had a terrible wander. The transom shape also limits where tabs could be installed. With the new tabs, not only does my boat get planed off a few seconds faster, the wander is 95% gone. 416BE7F2-E4CE-4F45-87EA-0EB20425C638.jpegD2E6C990-4726-4D4F-8EF2-FD6B0528BF3A.jpeg

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
My MercCruiser also has the wander problem at no wake speed. Trim position and the 4 blade prop helps a lot. Our Lake is very shallow In channels, 2 feet in spots. So trim sweet spot doesn't apply all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.