Boat Very Hard to Steer to the Right Under Power

SDSeville

Lieutenant
1986 Bayliner 2560 with 5.7 Volvo Penta 260a, no power steering. When going slow I can turn wheel either way with almost zero effort. However, when I am under power, it is very hard to steer to the right (super easy to the left). Any suggestions for a fix, or is it just something I have to live with?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Read the owner's manual for the engine. There is a trim tab on the AV plate that will compensate for side prop thrust. Obviously the previous owner didn't adjust it, or it corroded and fell off.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Once you get that trim tab adjusted you can often use the drives vertical trim setting to make the boat steering lighter. A little up or down changes how it feels.
First though, adjust the trim tab on the drive It's a zinc fin the sticks down a bit behind the prop.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks! Looks like it came with a trim tab, but not there now. Boat is in a slip, so I will have the hull cleaner install one. I assume I turn it to the left to fix the problem I am having?

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks! Looks like it came with a trim tab, but not there now. Boat is in a slip, so I will have the hull cleaner install one. I assume I turn it to the left to fix the problem I am having?
If its a Mercruiser, you move the aft end of the tab toward the direction it steers easy.

For a Volvo, I assume its the same, but I really don't know the position on these motors. Refer to your owner's manual.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
If its a Mercruiser, you move the aft end of the tab toward the direction it steers easy.

For a Volvo, I assume its the same, but I really don't know the position on these motors. Refer to your owner's manual.
Yes, manual says turn the tab so front is pointing towards direction that hard to turn. The back would go towards the easy side. Thanks!