Boat Trouble in "3s"?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I was out in the speedboat, likely for the last time last Thurday. Pretty flat conditions, pretty warm. I make a turn at low speed, or should I say I try to make a turn at slow speed. No steering....Cable just snapped. Never saw that happen before. They usually seize up first. So turn the motor by hand and idle to beach, and call my kid to get trailer.

Trailer and kid finally arrive at dusk. Winch up boat, and winch breaks, but just one side of winch breaks. Find a way to winch the boat in enough, and car gets stuck in sand. Some guys nearby give car a push and away we go...Thanks guys.

I hate it what that happens....at least new trailer axle seemed to work well, as this was first test. New steering system and winch are in the mail......

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Trouble in "3s"?

In the flying world we used to say it usually wasn't any one thing that would get you. One thing would happen, and then another and then another until your ability to cope was overwhelmed. Sounds like you had about as much fun as any one man can stand in an afternoon. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bet you were thinking just before the steering went out "Boy, isn't she running great"? The the fan got turned on. :faint2:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Actually Jay, I have had more fun in one afternoon than that, unfortunately. Earlier this year, the boat lift broke. So I went to trailer the boat. On the way home from the ramp (all of 3 mi, on back roads), the trailer axle breaks. So I dump the boat on the shoulder and drive the crippled trailer home and get the big boat trailer. Drive back to the boat on the grass and try to load her onto the big trailer. of course the big trailer is "big" high as well. Luckily my neighbor drives by and between the five of us, we drag it onto the trailer, and I drive it home....

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

That was the time to call Tow Boat US,, their trailering coverage at $14 per year would have taken care of that problem without dumping the boat,,,
Actually Jay, I have had more fun in one afternoon than that, unfortunately. Earlier this year, the boat lift broke. So I went to trailer the boat. On the way home from the ramp (all of 3 mi, on back roads), the trailer axle breaks. So I dump the boat on the shoulder and drive the crippled trailer home and get the big boat trailer. Drive back to the boat on the grass and try to load her onto the big trailer. of course the big trailer is "big" high as well. Luckily my neighbor drives by and between the five of us, we drag it onto the trailer, and I drive it home....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have towing with BoatUS as well as Allstate. The problem is that I can get the boat home in 20 minutes, doing it myself. How long would it take if I call towing? How long until boat is vandalized, if I leave it on the side of the road?