boat trailer wheel almost departed on I-5

22trophy

Seaman
I installed new bearings and thought I was good to go. I noticed my wheel whobbleing at 50 mph. slowed down to 20 mph, and made new friends on the CA interstate. Limped home on secondary roads. I experienced a bearing failure. The bearings were brand new 10 months earlier. I thought I had completed the job correctly. Bottom line-check your mirrors often and look for troublr.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat trailer wheel almost departed on I-5

I'm almost paranoid in checking my trailer in my mirrors. I caught a problem before I got on the interstate. The rear axle on my tandem trailer rusted through and broke. I noticed a leaning wheel and watched it. As I approached the interstate, the wheel leaned in. If I hadn't been watching, I would have lost the wheel on the interstate at 65MPH.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just for you two I am going to repost two pictures of our Suburban that was hit by a wayward tire from the opposite direction on I15. Believe it or not despite the pictures my wife was relatively OK. Glass all over her, but only one minor cut on her forehead. Every cop we have talked to says they are almost always fatal . . .<br /><br />
Sandy%20wreck%20front.jpg
<br />
Sandy%20wreck%20inside.jpg

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Whoa, QC, thanks for posting those pics, they'll make ya stop & think. Glad the mrs. is okay. Did they find the guy who lost it?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, they found him. He was the guy limping along on three wheels trying to get away . . . :mad: No insurance etc., he had just changed the tire . . . It was a pick-up, not a trailer, but I believe trailers are very common as they sit so long.

1954jwt

Cadet

I had a similar experence last Friday. Was down in Charlotte to try out a boat which I had agreed to purchase if all was well. We were going out 16 toward Mountain Island Lake to give it a spin. The owner was pulling up in front of me and I noticed some blue smoke. First impression was that he was using some oil big time, but then I realized that it was coming from the left trailer hub. About that time the buddy bearing shot across the interstate like it came out of a cannon. I got him stopped and we limped about 3 miles to a garage. When they took off the hub, which didn't take much work, we found that the back seal was gone and all the grease he had been pushing into the bearings, was actually going straight into the brakes. What a mess. Well he had them replace both sides and I watched to make sure it was complete before I closed the deal. Things like that will really make you pay more attention to the little details before leaving home.

TimMattson

Seaman

My story....We got home from Fishing and I noticed "the lean" as well.....Then I saw a black circular ring on the white EZ loader Alum fender where tire tire had floated outward until it nearly burnt thru the fender.<br /> Being nighttime, Im sure somebody saw an amazing Fireworks display as the bearings and races shot out one by one.Only the cones and a wheel hub were left.<br /> I always check my hubs for heat after any service or longer trips.<br /> Tim M

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the bearings crap out on a brand new trailer. The dealership ordered a trailer without brakes when we ordered one with brakes. The dealership added brakes to the trailer. 200 miles later the bearings crapped out. Even the pros screw it up once in a while.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checking the hub temperature is certainly a worthwhile thing to do. A friend has one of those high-tech temperature "guns" that you point at the hub. I use the low-tech finger test. I always have it with me!<br />Thanks for the tip about checking the rear seal.