Boat Trailer Sticking in Mud

RyalsCreek

Cadet
I have a problem. I need to pull my boat out of the water to get it to a shop. The nearest landing is 10 miles away by water so towing with another boat by water is out. About 5 years ago I pulled it out but the trailer got stuck in the mud & silt and I ended up just calling a tow truck who pulled the boat and trailer out of the water. It worked, but it was a big mess with the tow truck messing up my backyard. Does anyone have an ideas or tips? The area I pull it out of the water is not steep, but there is mud & silt. I have considered possibly using plywood pieces as a makeshift bridge/landing for about a 10 foot area between water and yard.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Trailer Sticking in Mud

Truckload of gravel? Depending on the size of the boat and your access to smaller heavy equipment, perhaps a small tractor or skid steer? The guys at one of my local marinas use a skid steer to move boats around the yard. They worked out some sort of ball attachement where the bucket should go which gives the ability to raise or lower the bow as needed.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the idea of the plywood "road". I would use some 1/2" OSB sheathing you can get at the big box stores for 7-8 bucks a sheet. If you only need 10' you could do this pretty cheap, rip them into 8' x 2' sections and use a few 2x4'x to connect them all together and the proper distance apart for the tires on your trailer. I would have a winch hand just in case you get stuck again. I have a "grip hoist" (lots of other names, mine is a jet wire rope puller) that is basically a come along on steroids, it will pull several tons up to 60', a bit pricey but hundreds of uses.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only problem with plywood is that it gets slicker than snot on a frog (technical term) when wet. Ask anyone who has built houses or been a roofer about walking a wet plywood roof...

I would also be a little concerned about it shooting out from under the tire of the truck unless you can somehow fasten it to the ground. I saw a guy do it in the snow once. Pretty neat trick as long as no one is behind you.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only problem with plywood is that it gets slicker than snot on a frog (technical term) when wet. ]

This is absolutely true. That's why you will want to tie it all together with some 2x all the way up to solid ground. The 2x will also help give the wood grip under the wood "road".

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go buy a pickup load of cinder blocks and strategically place them in two rows that match the width of the trailer tires. No slick plywood, no floating parts. If you wanted to take the time to bury them 90%, then lay them cross ways and place them 4-6 inches apart you would use less blocks, and have a permanent solution instead of temporary. IDK, just spitballin here!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I once towed a boat 12 miles up a canal. He was disabled and we both had our trailers at the same landing. Piece of cake.

Hire Towboat or call a buddy. Its a lot easier than breaking your back shoveling in the backyard.

As an option, since it happened before and is happening now, and you know it'll happen again, why not pour a concrete pad in your backyard and make a usable ramp. Sometimes the cheep way out isn't always the best way.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

What size,weight,type of boat?

Bondo

Staff member

I have a problem. I need to pull my boat out of the water to get it to a shop. The nearest landing is 10 miles away by water so towing with another boat by water is out. About 5 years ago I pulled it out but the trailer got stuck in the mud & silt and I ended up just calling a tow truck who pulled the boat and trailer out of the water. It worked, but it was a big mess with the tow truck messing up my backyard. Does anyone have an ideas or tips? The area I pull it out of the water is not steep, but there is mud & silt. I have considered possibly using plywood pieces as a makeshift bridge/landing for about a 10 foot area between water and yard.

Ayuh,... Boats tow Easy,.... I'll be towin' my 34' houseboat, with my 12' tinny tugboat, 'n 7.5hp Merc later today...

Granted, I'm only goin' a 1000 yards, but it's all the same...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I used to tow boats all the time from the ICW to the Braden/Manatee river junction (location of ramp) and that was 13 miles. should take between 45 minutes and just a tick over an hour.