Boat that came off the trailer

awe1979

Seaman Apprentice
I have bought a 1959 glasstron that has came off the trailer at one point. It has all the gelcoat scraped off on one corner my the transom. Its about a 2 foot circle where it was drug down the road. Where the transom and the hull meet there is a small 1 inch hole in the hull. I have been reading this site for a while. I was thinking poly resin and cloth? What would be the best way to do this?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat that came off the trailer

Welcome to iboats awe1979.

A picture would work wonders for getting good, effective responses.

Bondo

Staff member

My mental Image of the Problem says Epoxy would be a Better Bet............

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy is stronger and bonds better to most surfaces, so if you don't have a good way to repair it, like from the inside, it can be a better choice.

Depending on how the boat came off the trailer and the amount of damage, you will at least need to check the hull from the inside to make sure there isn't more damage than what you can see from the outside.

awe1979

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I will use the epoxy. So I should build it up just a little higher with layers of epoxy and glass and sand it down smooth and paint it?

Coors

Captain

post a picture with photobucket

reelfishin

Captain

I would look for other damage as well, if it fell off and impacted on the road, I'd check to make sure there's no broken or cracked stringers or other hidden damage.

I agree with the epoxy repair, but I'd want to see the inside no matter what considering what it's been through.

About 12 years ago I was driving along in a large SUV, (one that was built long before we called them SUV's), and was following a guy with what looked to be about a 16' bowrider, manufacturer unknown which was sort of floating on the trailer at speed. Right about the time I turned to my buddy and made the comment that the darn fool must have forgot to tie his boat down, the boat took flight, turned sideways and landed about 5 foot in front of my push bumper as I was doing about 50 or so. There was a solid thud sound, then a "POP" sound as I drove through it. A state trooper which was behind me and had pulled over right behind me looked like he had just driven through a chicken coop. My truck and his car were both covered in what looked like fiberglass feathers, I had a baseball sized dent in the edge of my hood, but no other damage, and the outboard was still spinning in the street on the oposite shoulder. The drive that lost the boat came back screaming at me that I had ruined his boat, the officer promptly informed him of the tickets that he was about to recieve and that anything he said at that point may be used against him and so on. What got me was that there was no boat left, just a lot of splinters, a few seats and the outboard in the street with the transom mostly still attached, the stringers, hull and rest of the boat just disintingrated. The truck I was driving was my go fishing truck and I didn't much care about another dent, and once I cleared the radiator screen and windshield of bits of boat, and left my info with the officer, I left. I never heard anything more after that other than a call from someone elsed insurance company who also had their car covered in the mess of fiberglass.

My point is, that there's not much to a boat and the hull isn't meant to have any strength out of the water. While nothing would have helped the boat that I hit, (other than the idiot maybe securing it to his trailer), there may be damage that you can't see. I would assume that that boat dropped off the trailer at speed, falling at least as far as the trailer is high, that force amplified by weight and speed, with the damage compounded by it's sliding on the pavement.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couple of things.. Great advise so far and a little explaination. Epoxy is better at what is called 'secondary' bonds, that is bonding after the previous layer of resin has already setup. But, polyester, especially Gelcoat, won't stick to epoxy.

So any 'poxy based repair will have to be painted, 'poxy is NOT UV stable and has to be topcoated.

IF you are a purest and want to gelcoat the repair to match the rest of the boat you will have to use Polyester - fiberglass resin for the repair. And as previously said best done from the inside even to cover a hole in the side, in part this is done because thats that way the boat was originally built. And, if you're REALLY good at it you can actualy start the repair with Gelcoat and get a great finish on it. Check out http://capndsboatshed.com/page2.htm

As for damage surveying, your digital camera works great to get into areas you can not see. Just stick your hand with camera into area and snap a picture, pull it out and see what you see..

If you REALLY want to learn about Fiberglass repair, check your library for a copy of The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual by Allan H. Viatses (Author), Allan H. Vaitses
http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Bo...0255336?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176926307&sr=8-2

Interesting reading and I learned more about fiberglass then I probably need to know..

awe1979

Seaman Apprentice

What are some good web sites to order the epoxy and glass from?

Bondo

Staff member

raka.com is where I do business,.......
Larry is a Straight Shooter,+ is Helpful in getting you What you Need........

It may not Help, but it Won't Hurt to tell him you found out about him Here.....;)