Boat Tarp Material?

catha955

Recruit
I'm looking to get a new cover/tarp for my 2 pontoons. Is there a specific material or type of cover anyone can recommend?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Seasonal cover?? off season cover? Daily cover? What exactly are you trying to accomplish and on what? Charlie

catha955

Recruit
Seasonal cover?? off season cover? Daily cover? What exactly are you trying to accomplish and on what? Charlie
Something I could use year-round would be preferable. Resistant to all of the seasons since I am around the midwest.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
My sunbrella cover still looks good after 18 years.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Something I could use year-round would be preferable. Resistant to all of the seasons since I am around the midwest.
You in or around trees?

If so, porous material like Sunbrella become a mold breeding ground in short order. Dry rot isn't far behind.

Switched over to a black/Silver, 1200 Denier, 14 x 14 weave poly trap. Going on year 5 with the current tarp

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Are you talking about replacing factory snap on covers or just something to throw over it? If stored outdoors 24/7/365 you need two covers. Use the factory setup, that hopefully use support poles, and buy cheap tarps from Walmart/Harbor Freight to go over that. Bungee the cheap ones around your tailer frame.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a boat cover and I use a 10x20 canopy over the top.

a boat cover by itself breaths and doesnt get mildew. a boat cover covered with a tarp will get mildew

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I have a boat cover and I use a 10x20 canopy over the top.

a boat cover by itself breaths and doesnt get mildew. a boat cover covered with a tarp will get mildew
I bet you're right in steamy FL, good point. In KY mine never did, at least for the 3 years it was stored that way. I did have to make an hour long round trip a couple of time to rake snow off of it before busted my snap on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mold happened in Wisconsin too. so I moved the boat into the shop

catha955

Recruit
You in or around trees?

If so, porous material like Sunbrella become a mold breeding ground in short order. Dry rot isn't far behind.

Switched over to a black/Silver, 1200 Denier, 14 x 14 weave poly trap. Going on year 5 with the current tarp
nope, no trees around.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The most resistant material to mother nature is found at semi truck tarp centers. That stuff holds up to anything, waterproof, strong, hard to rip or tear. Over the past 25 yrs, I have had three covers made, not one has ever failed !! Even standing water and snow has never affected them, and traveling down the highway at 70 mph flapping in the wind has not destroyed them. Yes you will need to add vents, easy to do, and yes they are heavy, probably can't handle by one person....but it will be the last you ever buy !! They also have different material weights for light duty up to heavy duty.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sunbrella is the best against rot. It is expensive, however. Canvass and its synthetic versions are pretty good, but don't last as long. So it is a flyoff between covers that last longer than others and the price of the cheaper covers. Wind damage makes a difference.