Boat Suggestions?

jetter2

Cadet
Howdy!

22 year old texan reporting in, this looks like the go-to-place for boating information so I'll take a stab at it :)

Little background; I'm a 22 year old guy, I'm an Engineer by day and a college student by night. During the summers and weekends I try to enjoy these long Texas summers as much as I can ;) of course being this age, the boating bug has resurfaced in my life and its something I want to pursue!

I grew up on our lakes, first boat I teethed on was our 5.2M NACRA cat, LOVED it. All the stuff happening is what got me into aviation as well, but when we got our ski boat I found it much more fun, and alot less work than the sailboat.

This past year I finally got my car that I have been hunting for over the past 24 months, and now I want to move onto my first ski boat. I have a F150 that I can tug the boat around with, and I feel like 18-22' would serve my needs well. A few people have suggested Motorcraft as a good used boat so here is my requirement list.

-It seats 6-8 people
-Has an open bow (the girl loves sitting up front)
-I can put a wake-rack on it, or comes with one (speakers and gear)
-$10k price range?

I'm very in my element on the water from both an operational and saftey standpoint. Like I said I grew up doing this and I'm looking for a boat that I don't have to pour a lot of work or extra money into up front (trying to avoid fixxer-uppers).

What should I look for, what should I avoid? How about maintnance records or engine time? I'm just a sponge trying to soak up as much info as I can before I'm boat-buying-mode this winter :D

Let me know what yall think!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Boat Suggestions?

If I were in your situation I'd get a used one of these:D

Maybe find one that is 3-5 years old or newer that is up for auction of just priced for quick sale. Here in Michigan there are plenty of similar boats at very good prices right now...in 6 months the prices will be even lower so it is a great time to buy.

Welcome to the forums and good luck finding a gem of a ski boat. By the way sounds like you are on the right track as far as making sure your special lady likes the boat as well...smart man.:)

jetter2

Cadet

If I were in your situation I'd get a used one of these:D

Maybe find one that is 3-5 years old or newer that is up for auction of just priced for quick sale. Here in Michigan there are plenty of similar boats at very good prices right now...in 6 months the prices will be even lower so it is a great time to buy.

Welcome to the forums and good luck finding a gem of a ski boat. By the way sounds like you are on the right track as far as making sure your special lady likes the boat as well...smart man.:)

VERY sexy =]

But about 5x my budget I'm willing to do on a first-boat =]

I figure I budget around $10k for my first boat, and if I am in love with everything about boating down here as I used to be, then I'll sell it in a few years and upgrade.

As far as the lady goes, shes a Southern girl and knows what she wants, I take pride in her in my car, I want to make sure I have the same feeling on whatever boat I put her on :)

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

jetter; she didn't say cuddy? holy crap! (the head was required by my wife and daughter)

as far as which one, you will get a hundred different opinions. (usually, the opinion will be subject to what brand the opinion giver owns...which is why i'm saying sea ray:D)

i'd say, start looking at them in person, you'll see which one grabs your eye.

from there, make sure she's sound, and have a blast!

jetter2

Cadet

jetter; she didn't say cuddy? holy crap! (the head was required by my wife and daughter)

as far as which one, you will get a hundred different opinions. (usually, the opinion will be subject to what brand the opinion giver owns...which is why i'm saying sea ray:D)

i'd say, start looking at them in person, you'll see which one grabs your eye.

from there, make sure she's sound, and have a blast!

Naw, she knows better than to ask me for a bathroom on a boat, shes a southern chick :D

I see them out there, I just want to know common issues I should be aware of, things to look for, how many hours is too many, places to get a pre-buy inspection done etc.

Thanks!