Boat Stereo Not Working

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I just acquired a boat from a friend of mine. It had been sitting for about two years in the elements without a cover. I know, not the best beginning to a post. But anyway, after spending a couple thousand getting the engine ready for the lake (music to my ears by the way), I can spend some time looking at other things...I.E. the Stereo.

So, the stereo is relatively new (approximately 3 years old). The fuses are all good, and it looks to be all connected properly. I am just wondering if while out in the elements for a couple years, the stereo just got fried by rain, cold weather etc.?

Should I just go buy a new one, or are there some other things I might could check out before spending more money on this money pit? :confused: :p

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat Stereo Not Working

Ayuh,.... Is it getting Power,..?? Is it properly Grounded,..??

If So,... Replace it...

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right, does it power up? If not, check positive and ground lead. Fuses may be good but rule out corrosion in the fuse holders too.

It if powers up, question the speakers. If no sound, hook up another speaker to left or right channel to rule the speakers out too.

Is the antenna good? If it's a CD player, try a CD to avoid question of antenna for now. Then focus on antenna and connection.

Essentially, rule out the most critical thing, then isolate other suspects for test. Worst case, buy another stereo, and maybe speakers too so it all is new. Just remember that new doesn't always mean it will work. That's why you get a warranty with it.

mrtommy03

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Is it getting Power,..?? Is it properly Grounded,..??

If So,... Replace it...

When I put in the face plate and hit the power button, nothing happens. So no, no power is getting to it...orrr power is getting to it, but the stereo is just fried??

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

You're probably going to spend more time and aggravation trying to fix your old one. Go buy a new unit. It doesn't have to say "marine" on it. Just any ole' car/truck unit will work. It may not last as long but certainly will be a whole lot cheaper.
BTW - a three year old unit is not 'new' in any marine environment. :(

ziggy

Admiral

orrr power is getting to it, but the stereo is just fried?
put a meter or test light to the wire ya think is the power wire and see if you got electricity.. if not. start working backwards till you find some electricity. somewhere in between is the culprit of failure...

as others stated too. be sure ya got a good ground. ya gotta have a good ground... the neg. side of the batt. is ground on a boat. a car too, but in boats the connection really has to make its way back to at least the block. which is where the neg. terminal of the batt. is connected to.

looking at connections that are connected don't necessarily mean their connected. ya may have to take them apart to find corrosion issues.. while their apart. clean them up with some emery cloth or the likes..