Boat sometimes dies wide open throttle?

tandg96

Cadet
I have a 1993 scr 2799 maxum with the 7.4 liter engine. Sometimes while cruising wide open the boat just dies? It will then start back up but almost acts flooded? It has a fresh tune up and seems to run great in the driveway or at slower speeds just fine. When it dies its very sudden no sputtering or coughing just dead! Could I possibly be stirring up water or debris in the gas tank? I've added 60 gallons of fresh gas with sea foam and the filters never seem to have anything in them.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat sometimes dies wide open throttle?

do you have spark?

could be alot of things.....

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could be a lot of things, but your problem sounds a lot like the one I had in the recent past. Actually, I didn't need to run WOT to have the engine die.
It turned out to be a restricted screen in the fuel pickup in the tank.
If it is easy to get to the pickup for the tank, it's an easy fix. Just pull the pickup tube and clean the screen, then put everything back together.
The screen in my 1993 Chris Craft was probably 75% restricted with what almost looked like sawdust.

Charles

tandg96

Cadet

After it dies it is really hard to start but always does! This is why I think it has spark. After reading replies I looked for a clogged intake but what I found was that there isn't one! I also looked again at the filters and they look great.Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Todd

donsmy

Cadet

I had a very similar problem. It turned out to be a weak - but not completely failed fuel pump. It could not pump enough gas at WOT. I replaced the pump it fixed the problem.