Boat Restoration Help

JRShamblin

Recruit
Hello There, Im a newly Registered poster, but i have been reading threads for awhile. And i know that most of you are very knowledgible about Boat Restoration.

This is my first project ever, my first Bass Boat ever. I got a heck of a deal on the boat and im trying to make it look a little nicer. This entails Painting and recarpeting. I have stripped the carpet, and wood floor from the boat. and now i am ready to prep for painting.

I was told to wetsand the boat, then i planned on using TSP to clean the boat and Hammerite Rust-Cap paint to paint the hull and inside. Is this a good idea? Could someone give me advice. Should i wetsand it, how long do i sand it? what paper? Is the TSP a good idea? Is The paint a good Idea?

Below are links to help you help me.

I Value any Help you can give me on this project. I am very excited about my new (to me) boat!

Before Pic
Carpet Ripped up Pic
Floor Ripped up Pic
Boat Hoisted and supported

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Restoration Help

Congradulations on the new boat!

How long to sand is really a question of how long it takes you took get the surface smooth, clean, and ready to paint. You could start with wetsanding, but in my mind that is usually reserved for more of a finish grit (400-2000 grit). Others might have a different opinion. If you have a DA, I would start with 180-220 depending on the condition of the surface now. If the boat has been re-coated with anything other than gel-coat, I would sand all the way down to the original coat. That can also serve as your marker coat as you are rough sanding.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Restoration Help

If the existing paint job is in decent physical condition (not peeling or flaking) you can just rough it up with sandpaper or scotch-brite pads. I used imitation steel wool pads on mine. Clean off the dust, tack-cloth it and paint it. I painted mine with Petit Easypoxy using a brush and foam roller. Came out great. Lots on here have used Rustoleum with success, I would imagine Hammerite is similar. If your current paint job is in poor condition, I'd strip it. Any bare aluminum needs to be primed with Zinc Chromate primer. A very light coat, practically a dusting, is all that's required of that primer.