Boat Restoration - Cabin Rebuild

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Restoration - Cabin Rebuild

Could someone please help me out on this one.

Following was my plan, please tell me if this is a good way to go about doing it, and if you would/wouldnt do it this way.
If you look at the last photo you can see that my plug comes in 2 parts. One is the foam bit and the other is the plywood laminate.
Now, to get the best finish I thought on what if I drop 4 layers of 20oz cloth over the whole thing than 1 layer of really fine cloth to get a smoother finish than just fill the weave with a polyester primer than sand the primer flat and ready for gelcoat.

After laying the final cloth layer I would pull out the foam plug, prepare and fiberglass the inside of the previously layed layers. This leaves me with sandwiched plywood leminate.

I thought id do it this way so that I can have a smooth top layer (minimize sanding), right thickness and sandwiched plywood. Also cant do too many layers on the outside otherwise ill lose the windscreen canal and it wont fit.

Does this make sense, its a little late here ? Thanks

IMG_1397-copy.jpg

I tried changing original post title but that didnt work and I just ended up with 2 posts. You can find out more info on my progress from the link above. Thanks

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Restoration - Cabin Rebuild

My understanding is that leminating resin shouldnt have wax addative so in order to resin to fully cure i need to do a final layer with wax added resin or gelcoat or cover with layer of PVA. What I want to know is after I lay down my last layer of cloth is there a timeframe within which I have to apply a layer of wax added gelcoat ? Can I apply it few days later and still have the resin reach full cure?