Boat resoration

lilyperch

Cadet
I am new here reading everything. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of information.
Thank you ALL.
I am considered to be very handy in many undertakings. I have a 1989 174 fish ski I am getting inspired to restore with a much more open and user friendly deck.
I can price all the fiberglass materials etc. What are restore cost estimates as an average?
Some kind of budget is needed before I begin this next year.
I have a lot of learning to do first. I do have a friend nearby that has done this so this will help me tremendously.

Thank you.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Make two more posts so your post count increases to 3. This limit is required by the site for you to be able to post pictures. We love pictures because they help us see what are you're dealing with and tailor the recommendation to your specific situation.

Few things you might want to tell us about in your coming posts are the power train of the boat (engine make, model, outboard or outdrive) the status of the power train (runs fine, needs work, needs replacement or rebuild). The type/ status of the finish (gelcoat, paint and what condition) the status of the structural elements if known (transom, stringers and bulkheads)..

Divide this info into two posts and you will be able to post pictures in your 4th.

Alternatively, you can open a free account with photobucket, upload your pictures there and copy the IMG code and paste it here. This method doesn't require specific number of posts. Either way, we still need to know the info above to help you come up with good enough estimate. Welcome to iboats

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

The budget for your boat will be dependant on what is needed, and your skill level.

For estimating purposes, let's assume you're into a full gut and rehab with a new interior.

$500 PPE and other equipment
$3000 fiberglass and resin
$1500 interior
$1000 misc

Plan on 200-400 hours of work