Boat Research: Heritage 20 sailboat

Amgine0

Recruit
Hi! I hope we have some boatbuilder trivia wizzes here...<br /><br />I'm looking at a fiberglass sailboat the broker says is a 1967 Heritage 20, built by Howie Craft, Inc. The design is a cutaway full keel/outboard rudder hull with a smallish cabin, probably designed as a trailerable day sailor.<br /><br />The USCG MIC database says Howie Craft was registered and building boats from 1972 to 1988 (near the start of hull plate program).<br /><br />Beyond this, I have no information. I'm interested in the general specs of the boat, including draft, displacement, and if possible details about the rig such as sail area and mast height.

hise

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Research: Heritage 20 sailboat

not to knock iboats...<br /><br />but, checkout www.trailersailor.com. Lots of really good folks that know alot about sailboats that size and vintage.<br /><br />--Hise

syguy

Recruit

I wish I could supply you with the information you requested but I wanted to respond that I worked with Howard Renner many years ago as an apprentice for about a year. He was a wonderful fellow and loved these boats. Every piece of teak was hand built by him as was the mast. He would brag and I believe it to be true that he built the only 20' ocean capable boat in the world. The only reason I saw your posting today was that I had occasion to be on the water today in a house boat marina and there was a 20 foot Heritage moored next to a home. They are beautiful boats and built to incredible standards by Howard. If you have the chance to purchase you could do a lot worse.

microflash

Recruit

I recently bought one in Seattle and had it brought to Rochester, NY. My father (Capt. ANDREW DAVIDHAZY) designed the Heritage for Howie. I have some full size drawings and could answer some questions - I was told that it had large sail area but I am not experienced enough to attest to that. The person I got it from sailed it from Seattle to Hawaii and back and said it was great. LOA is 20 feet - at waterline 15 feet - 6' 6" beam - 2 ft 9 inches draft - mast about 30 feet? - it was designed for inboard but I had to go with an outboard for now. I am 70 and never had a sailboat this size (seems good sized to me!). Anyone who sees her (as well as another little 14 ft sloop also designed by my Dad) exclaims "that is one beautiful boat!!"

microflash

Recruit

Forgot to mention that while previous owner sailed her from Seattle to Hawaii and back he did so single handed.

aksailor13

Recruit

My research has revealed that there were 18 of these built and 17 have been to Hawaii and back