Boat Requirments

Is is required that I have in my boat when I get pulled over?

Fire Extinguisher
Life Vest (should have that on but..)
etc..?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Boat Requirments

Varies from state to state and then there is the Federal requirements. Visit the USCG website and your own state's website for specific requirements.

What does this mean..

Fire
Extinguisher
One B-I type approved hand portable fire extinguisher. (Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 ft in length if the construction of the motorboat is such that it does not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.)

A U.S. Coast Guard approved, marine-type fire extinguisher should be carried on your boat in a place where you can get to it quickly and easily. Extinguishers are not required on boats that don't have motors or on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet if there are no permanent fuel tanks installed. See details on the Required Equipment Chart.
Remember, a PWC (jet-ski or waverunner) is a boat and, in most cases, must carry an approved fire extinguisher.

So since I'm under 16 and a inflatable boat with outboard I don't need one? Legally that is?

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

The harbor patrol, ICE and the Coast Guard are very active here in San Diego (I have met them all). An inflatable inevitably attracts their attention (like motorcycles with traffic cops). If your gas tank is restrained in any way, they may give you grief for having an "installed tank". I have a plastic tank under my seat that is strapped down. Is it permanent? No. However, the Coast guard did not consider it to be easily moved. Avoid the hassle and get a fire extinguisher. If you have any chance of running at dusk it is also worthwhile to get the signaling devices required. Don't forget the required noise making device either. I have compliant whistles on all of my lifejackets. If there is a CG volunteer program in your area they offer free safety inspections.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

all you need is a bigger motor or at least a faster motor than they have, the rest is up to you .... hehehe ;)

all you need is a bigger motor or at least a faster motor than they have, the rest is up to you .... hehehe ;)

I've very easy to take advised like that, and work on it. :)

I was Jet sking with a buddy and I check with a local that was in the water and got all the info.

Thanks guys

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer