Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

In WI it is illegal to fill in the water. Got busted BOTH last year and this year by the DNR. First time was at my buddy's dock by a lake patrol warden driving by and saw the cans lined up on the dock, second was in a public harbor and a fisherman called me in to the sherif who sent the DNR to talk to me. Luckily they were in different areas so I could dummy up and get warnings.

Hey redmen, do you have anything in writing on that, like the statute number?

I'd like to read up on it.

I've seen people refueling on the water for years, and would like to know if there are any "conditions" that apply.
I usually see this at campgrounds, or on private docks, and there are no fuel docks on the lake.

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat refueling on the water from 5 gallon gasoline cans . . . Regulations???

I do a fair amount of boating in Maine. I usually get my sticker at Kittery Trading Post on my first trip of the year.
I take all back roads and go nowhere near Kittery. Thanks for the tip though, may hit KTP in Winter for a sticker and some good shopping next year.

UncleWillie

Captain

In WI it is illegal to fill in the water...

... do you have anything in writing on that, like the statute number? I'd like to read up on it...

That would be an interesting situation for boaters that only haul out for the winter.
There has to be a lot more to this story than meets the eye!

Like, "In WI it is illegal to SPILL in the water."

tpenfield

Staff member

Yea, today I put 20 gallons in with the gas cans, but had to go to the re-fueling dock to get 50 more gallons. We are planning a trip to Martha's Vineyard tomorrow, so the extra fuel may be needed.

When I was coming back to the dock, I noticed another boater filling his boat with the 5 gallon jugs. So, it looks like I am not the only one. :D

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, I don't have anything. We just took it on the value of the warden, thu were both pretty cool about it and let it slide. The second time was on a 36' carver and the gas dock didn't have power so they couldn't fuel us up, so we were just adding enough to make the 15 mile run from winter storage to the slip.

I see people doing it all the time too, but have never looked any further into it

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have continued to search for regulations, etc., but have not found anything definitive about fueling, except about spilling.

It seems that some marinas/slips have a policy against it, but that is probably more their making for liability concerns.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

Update:

So far this season, I have put 340 gallons total into the boat, about half of which (170 gallons) was loaded via the 5 gallon jugs. Since the boat uses a fair amount of fuel, it seems feasible to only supplement the fuel, as it is still easier to go to the fueling dock when I need 40 gallons or more.

I have not spilled any fuel while re-fueling, so I think that I have the technique down pretty good.

It looks like my fueling costs are going to be around $1500 for the year, which is not too bad.

tpenfield

Staff member

I saw another guy re-fueling from gas jugs at the dock yesterday . . . I have not really seen it until this season. I wonder if folks are getting tired of paying the marina prices :noidea: