Boat ramp truck/trailer parking shortage...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
It a nice day today, unfortunately I won't be going boating this morning due to a shortage of parking spaces at all the local (and not so local) boat ramps.. This is not so much of a problem for the inland freshwater boaters, but for ocean access, it's a big problem... Folks, both residents and some in the marine industry, have been raising hell with the powers that be for many years to gain better access, but not much has been done.. <br /><br />About the only progress thats been made that i've seen is now the police will not issue tickets to those who park their trailers on the grass in the now designated area at Phil Foster park... This grassy area equils about 15 additional spaces.. A drop in the bucket... <br /><br />One ramp up the road from me in Stuart will be closed sometime in june (i think) for construction of a new bridge, or something.... This one handles a bunch of boat traffic with (i'm guessing) at least 50 parking spaces for truck & trailer..<br /><br />Uh-oh, it's turning into a rant.. :( <br /><br />I don't care to get up at 4am on a weekend so I can be to a boat ramp by 5 or 6 just to get a parking space.. I don't want to do the rat-race at the ramps and battle with the crowd.. Sometimes you can get a parking spot in the late afternoon or early evening after all the early-bird crowd has got pooped out an gone home, but it's a crap-shoot..<br /><br />There are plenty of empty docks all up and down the ICW, places where a boat has'nt been tied up to in years.. I've spent a while looking for a place to dock the boat for the weekends, but have'nt been very lucky in the search.. Made it clear that I'll make it very worth while to the owner of the dock if I were allowed to dock there.. Short of knocking on doors, I've done about all a person can (want ads, friends of friends, and such).. Not looking for a perminate place to dock, just two or three weekends a month durring the summer.. Splash the boat in on friday evening and haul it out sunday night or even monday.. That's the plan... <br /><br />Tried the marinas and the few where I'd even consider leaving the boat are "first come/first served", and that is IF they have an available slip, which seldom ever happens..<br /><br />What's a landlubber gonna do?.. :confused:

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat ramp truck/trailer parking shortage...

Maybe it is time to go and see some of the better prospects in person. I have an arrangment with a resort on my local lake. He charges a $5 ramp fee but his ramp is to shallow so we agreed I could tie off to his docks on occasion privided I occasionly drop 5 bucks by. I only use it 2-3 nights a summer but sure is convienent when I would rather leave it out or not fight the ramp on heavy weekends. ( like the two diffrent fireworks show's ) And to top it off he gives me a ride back to my truck at the other ramp even though it is only a half mile away.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I have been told this is done for a reason - to limit the number of boats out at any given time. <br />The squeeze points on most inland water are the ramps and parking spaces...limit those and you effectively limit the usage of the water.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Snapperbait,<br /><br />Why not print off 20-30 form letters inquiring about dockage, and everytime you see one of those vacant docks just drop one in their door way. Give your name and number and someone will get back to you. It's a numbers game. Drop enough letters and you WILL bingo. In this way you can keep your distance from the individual but someone out there would be happy to make a few extra bucks tax free and fill their dock with a boat. <br /><br />This is also a great way to buy a house. You get first crack and no realtor. (sorry to any agents out there)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> its a matter of simple economics. the land is worth more as houses and condoi's. the cost of the permits and hoop jumping is not recouped by truck and trailer parking. I asked a local marina owner that I contract for about putting in a ramp. he said he would not tie up work rack and outside rack space for trailer parking. the land was just to valuable.<br />made sense but its a pain to try to get to the ramp at 4 am so you can unload.<br />makes for a long day.<br /> good luck and keep posting

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Don't get me started on the manatee issue..oh, you did already. :rolleyes: <br />This is the main reason for lack of access. That, and the skyrocketing price of Florida real estate, which has doubled in the last three years.<br />I purchased my present (Lehigh Acres,Fl) home new in 1984 for 42,500. It was just appraised at 93,000. I'm feeling your pain on the other coast of the state, siince the FFWC has stopped issuing dock permits. This over-inflates the allready bloated cost of property,if there is an existing dock behind it.<br />I live 12 Miles from the nearest salt, and don't even bother trying anymore. And now that my only capable boat was sold, it will probably be a head boat for my next offshore trip.<br />But it's not all bad. Had it not been for thier concern for this stupid, slow, clumsey critter called "manatee", I would've swapped my 50HP Force outboard for a new 75HP....But since I can do little more than idle, no sense in that. <br />And after I figure up fuel costs, ramp fees, towing, bridge tolls, crosstown bluehair traffic and aggrevation, I'm money-ahead taking an air-conditioned day-tripper with 30 of my buds, out to "the ledge". I hear the grouper is on the bite. But I'll have to wait until June the way it's looking.

myotherjob2

Cadet

I live in Port Orange ,FL and use a county ramp which is full every weekend.Last weekend I parked in the grass and received a 15.00 ticket.Apparently our cops don't sympathise.