Boat ramp courtesy

Gettnreel

Recruit
Why is it not a good idea: that when you by a boat the retailer should be required to explain boat ramp launching and staging adequacy or a pamphlet

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

Perhaps a bit of effort on the Purchasers part, to learn these things before boat shopping would be a good Idea, and they will remember things much better

Is a Car Dealer, required to explain how to drive and what the Rules of the Road are, when they sell a Car?

Reactions: KJM

Gettnreel

Recruit
True except they don’t sell without your license to drive. There by you already know.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The problem you run into is that ramps can and do have very different etiquettes at different times and places.

Ramp etiquette is very different when I launch at my usual 5:00 and 5:15 am compared to the 10:30 am Saturday morning crowd.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was never asked to produce a Driver's License, at any of the Dealerships. You can own a car even if you can't drive it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
True except they don’t sell without your license to drive. They’re by you already know.
Not true…. I bought my first car at 14, but I could not drive until I got my license at 16.

You can not operate a boat in most States unless you pass a boating test

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The problem you run into is that ramps can and do have very different etiquettes at different times and places.

Ramp etiquette is very different when I launch at my usual 5:00 and 5:15 am compared to the 10:30 am Saturday morning crowd.
Boat Ramps, a never ending Venue of Entertainment

Gettnreel

Recruit

Not refers to actual launching or trailing the boat and by yourself moving to and from the dock. I’m referring to those that back down the ramp and load and unload supplies from vehicles while blocking others the use of the ramp. Time does no mater

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I was driving at 12, just not legally…lol
I didn't drive on road until I was 13.
I was in the Bar at 14, and buying Liquor at 15(having Facial Hair at 12 really made a Difference, opened a lot of Doors)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’m referring to those that back down the ramp and load and unload supplies from vehicles while blocking others the use of the ramp. Time does no mater
Well that’s not etiquette………that’s common sense which is in very short supply these days.

Gettnreel

Recruit
I stand corrected. You can buy a new or used vehicles with no drivers license.
But the issue is boating ramps are getting to be a pain

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Not refers to actual launching or trailing the boat and by yourself moving to and from the dock. I’m referring to those that back down the ramp and load and unload supplies from vehicles while blocking others the use of the ramp. Time does no mater

I have told Clowns like that, to get the off the ramp, and Prep the boat prior to backing down. I will point out the Lineup they are causing. Most Times, they can feel the Love growing in it and they move, other times, I hope they have an Air Compressor...

Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I didn't drive on road until I was 13.
I was in the Bar at 14, and buying Liquor at 15(having Facial Hair at 12 really made a Difference, opened a lot of Doors)
Late bloomer ha….lol

Wasn’t into drinking……starting “partying” at 13.

Know what you mean about Farsi all hair….had hair at my shoulders and a full beard by 16.

Used to go downtown to see the “working ladies”. Stop in one of the Gentlemen’s clubs “for a beer” if the barkers would let you in

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Respect and common courtesy are no longer taught by many parents.------No longer taught in schools.---It is against the law to set young folks straight wnen misbehaving.------Court system no longer punishes for bad behavior.

airshot

Rear Admiral
True except they don’t sell without your license to drive. There by you already know.
Not sure about that....way to many drivers on the road that drove in a big circle in a parking lot to pass their drivers test during the pandemic !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was never asked to produce a Driver's License, at any of the Dealerships. You can own a car even if you can't drive it.
Surprised...here in Ohio, the dealers always ask for a drivers license before a test drive and they use it for title information after the sale. Other states may be different

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was fortunate to have a small marina next door to our cottage when growing up. I worked for the marina at 13 yrs old mowing grass and collecting money for the boat ramp. Part of my pay came from the ramp fees so a little light went on.....we had an old beatup Jeep with a trailer hitch on back and front. Our ramp was small and a single lane so max size boat was about 17-18' which was big back in the 60's!!! I started charging two bucks for the ramp fee, but I put your boat in and backed your trailer in to get your boat out. This worked perfect as I could tow a boat on the back as well as one on the front. The front boat was launched, then the trailer was parked and the rear boat was launched, and trailer parked. Learned real fast how to back up a trailer as this was now my income !! Learned courtesy and respect as well because how many folks would trust a 14 yr old kid with there boat. Did that for two years, needless to say, I have no issues backing up a trailer to this day. Trying to convince people to go out and practice today is impossible, they want to go to the ramp during rush time and have everyone sit and wait for them to practice. As mentioned...the "ME" society in todays population.......