Boat Railing

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1973 Chrysler center console boat.I do not have the original railing that went around the front of the bow or is no longer available.If i buy some 7/8" aluminum tubing can i bend his with a conduit bender?I did find a original picture of the boat on a chrysler web site but that pretty much all i have.Plus the mounting holes still on the boat.Any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreicated.I also thought about regular conduit to make a pattern but not sure if they make a thin wall 7/8" conduit?

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat Railing

Tashasdaddy wrong type of railing.Bob VT got the right one.I know were to buy it,but do you need a conduit bender will work?Also what is a good height of the railing should be?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the railing needs to cover the hull and cap joint.

erikgreen

Captain

A conduit bender of the right size will bend 7/8" tubing. You'll want thin wall tubing, the thick stuff is much harder.

However, that's really only good for radius bends the size of the conduit bender. Consider bending using a bending jig instead... basically a cutout of MDF the same shape as the eventual conduit, mounted on a table or another piece of MDF.

You clamp the tubing at one end to the jig, and use plain old muscle to form the rest of it to the jig's outline.

Alternatively, most people's bow railings don't perfectly match the hull outline, so you could just get a bow rail the right size from a salvage place or junk boat.

Erik

jonesg

Admiral

I have a 1973 Chrysler center console boat.I do not have the original railing that went around the front of the bow or is no longer available.If i buy some 7/8" aluminum tubing can i bend his with a conduit bender?I did find a original picture of the boat on a chrysler web site but that pretty much all i have.Plus the mounting holes still on the boat.Any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreicated.I also thought about regular conduit to make a pattern but not sure if they make a thin wall 7/8" conduit?

I have the same boat, yours is the only other one I know of.
my bow rail is missing the front part but its approx 11 inches high at its highest (measured on top of the rail).

Got any pics? I'd love to know what the original splashwell looked like.

I made a ply splashwell instead.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/jonesg_photos/my boat/?action=view&current=Volvo075.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/jonesg_photos/my boat/?action=view&current=20footboat.jpg

Mine is still being worked on, how do you like the ride?
is the 125hp enough ?