Boat Pricing

bstoveezie

Recruit
I have a 98 crownline I'm interested in buying. It's 23 ft. 8 inches. It also comes with a tandem trailer. Im trying to figure out what the boat is actually worth. Here's a pic I'm posting. It has a top/ cover that the pic doesn't show

Attachments

• 1000013346.jpg
    1000013346.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 25

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Value will be dependent on geographic location and condition of the boat

bstoveezie

Recruit
I understand. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the measuring stick people use to determine how much certain boats are worth before they make an offer? The seller is stating she paid $17,500.00 , but how do I know how to correctly value the craft?

airshot

Rear Admiral
A 26 yr old fiberglass boat, getting to the age of wood rot if it has any wood in the skeleton or frame. Compression test on the engine and a water test minimum. Thorough inspection would be required before any offer..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a 98 crownline I'm interested in buying. It's 23 ft. 8 inches. It also comes with a tandem trailer. Im trying to figure out what the boat is actually worth. Here's a pic I'm posting. It has a top/ cover that the pic doesn't show
What is the condition of the running gear and upholstery. Big issue as folks have mentioned is condition of stringers and transom. Not sure if that carport completely covers it, if sitting outside for years floor and stringers would be highly suspect. Do they have any repair records?

NADA used to have a boat price guide as well. You can also look for comps on FB marketplace and Craigslist in that area.

Not sure what model it is as the length didnt quite match up but you can try and look here

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Kelly and NADA have prices, but it's all just speculative. A 26 year old boat ain't worth anywhere near what the book says.

You can figure that there are a lot of repairs that are needed, and that's even if the hull, has not been compromised with rot.

Tread carefully.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
NADA Guides. Fairly accurate on newer boats but gets you in the ballpark with older. I sold my 98 Wellcraft in 2021 slightly above the low price.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have always had aluminum hull boats and took care of them. Always stored inside and had proper maintenence. Always bought used, never new. If I look back in my history, I have replaced my boat about every 8 years or so and always got my money back out if them. Never had to take a loss. But most glass boat owners can't say that. Alum boats hold value much better ...

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The majority of recreational boats are not well cared for.

You should go into looking at older boats with a very skeptical attitude as to condition.

Almost all fiberglass boats have wood frame behind the fiberglass/gel coat exterior. Water gets in there and they rot internally.

You need to be looking at the boat for evidence of rot and was the boat kept covered under shelter when not on water for its entire life. Even then they get water in bilge and it can wick up into wood.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Remember, just because someone has paid to much before you does not mean you should pay to much. What it's worth is very subjective

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You need to be looking at the boat for evidence of rot and was the boat kept covered under shelter when not on water for its entire life. Even then they get water in bilge and it can wick up into wood.
A buddy bought an older Bayliner that was meticulously cared for and kept 24/7 in a heated shop. The boat looked like new.

The old owner had all service records and did everything right.....except.

Water was left in the bilge all the time. It was never dried out. The guts of the boat were all rotten.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many years back, my brother became a marine surveyor, the stories he told were almost unbelievable, they way people took care of their expensive boats were really horror stories !!

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It appears Crownline never made a 23ft deckboat in 1998.

1999 is likely the model if it is indeed a 23ft deck boat.

Average condition price is estimated in NADA as 12,795.

If the engine block is cracked or condition cannot be verified by an independent service shop, you better negotiate the price down $8K less as inboard engine repower is much more expensive now unless you are doing all the removal, install, and tuning work.

Alpha One Outdrive not working, that pushes the price down $2K (that's for SEI aftermarket). For Mercruiser Bravo and many Volvo Penta drive issues, expect +$6K or worse.

tpenfield

Staff member
If you are looking for a solid and absolute number of the boat's value, you won't find one. Value is subjective.

Look at NADAguides.com and BucValue.com and also search for any same/similar Ad listings. That will give you several points to establish a market value ballpark. Then it is a matter of what the boat is worth to YOU. :D

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Everybody knows how much a gallon of brand new gas or a loaf of bread costs.----But the price of a 10 year old boat is a different matter.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Something is not worth anything until sold……only worth what someone paid for it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If you are new to boat ownership proceed with a high level of caution.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you not familiar with boats, it would pay to spend the money on a good marine survey ( thorough inspection by an expert) as there could be many expensive hidden disasters that you wouldn't see.