Boat Pedestal Question

Deity

Cadet
Does anyone know of any fold down type seat pedestals that are on the market these days? There used to be a brand called Kwik Drop that was available for a short period of time but the company must have went out of business. Just looking for something like that or similar and wondered if anyone on this forum was aware or had any suggestions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Probably won't pass ABYC testing

Look at Springfield, Attwood, Tacomarine websites

That is what is available on the market today

Deity

Cadet
I can't believe that some company out there don't have some of these things on the shelf somewhere.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Products only last in the marketplace if the "Consumer" likes them. We are in an age where "reviews" dictate what people buy.

Looking at the videos when the customer sits on them would discourage me from buying it. Obviously, word got around about how good they are and thus they went out of business.

My kwikie google showed similar questions about availability 16 years ago. After all these years THAT's why they are no longer on the shelf.

Deity

Cadet
Products only last in the marketplace if the "Consumer" likes them. We are in an age where "reviews" dictate what people buy.

Looking at the videos when the customer sits on them would discourage me from buying it. Obviously, word got around about how good they are and thus they went out of business.

My kwikie google showed similar questions about availability 16 years ago. After all these years THAT's why they are no longer on the shelf.

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have two of these seat pedestals and have had them on my boat for over 10 years and they have held up great. My brother also has two of them on his boat as well and has experienced the same quality and longevity. I am just wanting to find some backups so as the ones I have wear out, I'll have replacements. Also, I have been in contact with the company that made these and have inquired why they stopped making them. It wasn't because of poor quality or customers not wanting them. They just decided to focus on their core business making parts for the airline industry. Much better margins. There was a period of time where there was a chinese made version of these pedestals that had questionable quality. But the ones made in Missouri were quality made and hold up very well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have two of these seat pedestals and have had them on my boat for over 10 years and they have held up great. My brother also has two of them on his boat as well and has experienced the same quality and longevity. I am just wanting to find some backups so as the ones I have wear out, I'll have replacements. Also, I have been in contact with the company that made these and have inquired why they stopped making them. It wasn't because of poor quality or customers not wanting them. They just decided to focus on their core business making parts for the airline industry. Much better margins. There was a period of time where there was a chinese made version of these pedestals that had questionable quality. But the ones made in Missouri were quality made and hold up very well.
I won't dispute whether they are good or not because I never owned one.

What stands out is that they have been out of business a long time. When a company has a profitable product they keep making them. If they change the direction of their company, they sell the tooling and patents to a competitor. If a product is selling like hotcakes the competitors reverse engineer and sell their own version.

If you have a part number chances are that one can be located thru an extensive search. Maybe simply a used one on ebay or CL.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
had to dig into the wayback archives.

looking at them, doubt they would pass the ABYC requirements of today. so the product would not be on the shelf.

https://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/general/i/P2_g_BT_Feb9_06_KD_seat.jpg

plus the scissor action of the arms could trim off someones Phalanges

the early reviews from 2006 to 2007 were not favorable.

airshot

Rear Admiral
All it takes is one accident and a big lawsuit to stip production on most anything, doesn't mean the product was bad...tadays engineers are task with the job of fixing " stupid" ...and that is not likely to ever get fixed !

JustJason

Vice Admiral
had to dig into the wayback archives.

looking at them, doubt they would pass the ABYC requirements of today. so the product would not be on the shelf.

https://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/general/i/P2_g_BT_Feb9_06_KD_seat.jpg

plus the scissor action of the arms could trim off someones Phalanges

the early reviews from 2006 to 2007 were not favorable.
Just curious, which ABYC standard(s) would you be referring to?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
H-31 covers seating

H-31.8.3 requires the 10 impacts with 225# of force

Deity

Cadet
These pedestals are excellent. Have had them on my boat for years and they hold up well. Personally, I'm sick and tire of the tree hugger / liberal mentality and all the new rules and regulations that are catered to keep stupidity from happening to those ignorant enough to eat tide pods. I say let the process of natural selection run it's course. LOL. You can't regulate ignorance out of things no matter how hard we try.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Unfortunately product liability lawyers exist and litigation can kill a company

However the Kwik drop hasn't been available for over 14 years. Not sure it makes a difference

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
These pedestals are excellent. Have had them on my boat for years and they hold up well. Personally, I'm sick and tire of the tree hugger / liberal mentality and all the new rules and regulations that are catered to keep stupidity from happening to those ignorant enough to eat tide pods. I say let the process of natural selection run it's course. LOL. You can't regulate ignorance out of things no matter how hard we try.
I can't disagree with you. Nevertheless, it's the world we live in today.

A big part of the problem are the lawyers. They will sue for anything because THEY are the ones that make the big profits. And of course, another problem are the politicians. But then again, that's on US, isn't it. What happens in the voting booth has consequences.

I worked for a Fortune Five Hundred company for 30 years. Lawsuits and Bankruptcy forced an LBO. I had to find another job.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
H-31 covers seating

H-31.8.3 requires the 10 impacts with 225# of force
Thanks for that. Up until right now, I have never stuck my nose in H-31, nor have I ever seen any questions on the ABYC exams that may come from H-31. The more you know.