Boat Parts? NOT!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat Parts? NOT!

Merc fuel filter, looks like a delco alternator ,cant tell if it is screened

cr2k

Captain

I sent him an email citing the the differences in a marine and automotive distributor hoping someone would not get blown up buying his parts thinking they were correct.

I also noted the needed spark screening on the Alternator and the missing vent connection on the fuel pump.

Just because it came off a boat doesn't mean it came on one from the factory.

You can see the black paint under the Volvo puke green (sorry Don).

I can't help but wonder if I will be on the lake the day the boat with that stuff blows. Unfortunately the Rangers at out local large lake (Millerton) seem to run and hide on busy days, so anything goes. There are never any inspections either.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Parts look rough and well used up. I wouldn't purchase them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The old Volvo Penta 165, 170 engines had a vacuum advance on them. Here is a picture from the OEM service manual.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, but you're wrong about that. The fuel pump is for the 170 and is the same as for the 4 cyl pushrod engines. Alternator looks the same, just can't see the screen. Filter looks the same as any other aftermarket housing. I've also seen that paint color on other older engines. Check ebay motors and look at other Volvo parts, you'll see the same thing.

Not sure why Volvo calls the fuel pump "marine". Only difference from the automotive is the second metal diaphram on the top of the pump. If the main diaphram leaks, fuel will still drip out of the weep hole and into the bildge.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Volvo 165 and 170 engines were also used 40 years ago, pre-safety years.
Even Mercruiser used regular automotive fuel pumps, and the distributors had vacuum advances and all. No spark protection on anything.
The ebay seller only said they were boat parts off a Volvo 6 cyl. Which they are. So what's the big deal?

cr2k

Captain

Well I'll be. I learned somthin' new today. So I would guess being that old they probably wouldn't be in very good shape anyway.

Must be real old. I have wrenching on boats for 16 years and some of the stuff I worked on back then was old, but never seen this stuff.

Thanks for the info.