boat paint

eaglelove76

Cadet
hi<br />i have a 1969 power cat and has yuck mustard color and i m wanting to go with a red or blue and back to white on bottom hull but i need to know what type of paint to get and do i need to prep the boat as i would on a car <br />thanks <br /><br />roy

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat paint

Moving to Boat Restoration and Building.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

I painted my boat with Interlux's Brightside Polyurethane over 2 years ago and have been very satisfied. It is a 1 part polyurethane. Some would prefer a harder finish such as a 2 part paint but for a boat that doesn't stay in the water I'm happy with the 1 part paint. Advantage is ease of application. Yes, you basically prep it like a car. Here's a link.<br /><br /> http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

eaglelove76

Cadet

thanks dakk1<br />i went to a paint place yesterday and they wanted 400.00 for a gl. of paint and hardner i about jumped out of my shoes so i thought i would get on here and see what others use before i start spending $$ its to hot to paint now id reather be fishing..<br />roy

D

DJ

I've always used what dakk1 used, with great results. Pettit makes a similar product.

Bondo

Staff member

I go to NAPA,+ get MSU brand paint..... I've had Great Luck with it,.. Both above,+ Below the waterline.........<br /><br />It runs about $100.00 a Gallon......

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It would help eaglelove to post what kind off paint you used and a picture off te result. That would be very cool for everybody. Because your eyes say whats the best...

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whats the best paint to apply by brush or roller topside that wont show many streaks/ brush marks?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Interlux Perfection is designed for roll and tip. It is a 2-part poly urthane that is very good. This paint is basically Awlgrip with brushing additives added to it. The downside is that it is very expensive. Good color selection.<br /><br />Interlux bright sides is a one part paint that is a little softer than a 2-part paint, but will also give good results. Good color selection.<br /><br />If you want a good water based product, you can go with System Three's 2-part polyurethane. It too is designed for roll and tip, but it has limited color selection and results in a semi-gloss finish unless you apply a clear coat.

Jeepnn

Seaman Apprentice

You are not alone I am restoring a 60's Starcraft and am haveing the same questions so Thanks everyone.<br /><br />Mike M.