Boat paint really oxidized

I have a 82 Champion that the paint is really oxidized. Is there anything I can do to help restore the origianl color. It was suggested to me that I take it ot a paint shop and have them spray a clear coat on it with the biggest flakes that they have. Will this help?If the color is blue what would be a good color for the flake to be?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat paint really oxidized

Time to introduce you to the red search at the top of the page. Click there and enter "oxidized". There are 20 threads on this.

woosterken

Lieutenant

Mo,try 3M marine polish/wax it is a fine grit rubbing compound in one or try nu-finish once a year auto polish it works as a oxidizer remover also.<br />ken

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mo, If the oxidation is too far gone, or you think you may want a color change, you may also look at painting your boat. I've been studing up on the subject as I'll be heading this direction in a month or so. Interlux Perfection has caught my eye, but there are a number of products out there designed for the do it your selfer that can yeild professional results with the proper preparation and patience. PS, from time to time you'll get the "go do a search" comment from someone that acts as though they are being bothered with your post. As a rule I try to do a quick search before asking questions, but sometimes a fresh perspective in nice. The way I see it, just about any question that some one would ask here has been probably covered in one post or another, so I guess no one would be posting at all? Hope all goes well for you and we'd love to see some before and after pics.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does your 82 boat have a metalflake finish? If so, the clear gelcoat may be gone. I do not know of a way to restore an old metalflake finish with the gelcoat faded off. If the solid color gelcoat is oxidized it can be buffed using the proper compound. (you can buff clear gelcoat if it is still there) On the question of metalflake colors the answer is: Yes it comes in colors. <br /><br />Check a fiberglass supply site, or Ebay for the flake. It is sold in bags, and is available in many hues for various mfgr's.

Thanks for your help. I know what you mean kfraser. I looked at the forums and did not see anthing with my particular ? I was asking that is why I posted this. Some people dont look I know but I did.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

To answer your question, no, paint and gel coat are two different things. It is possible to re-flake a boat, but not practicle, to do it you use gel coat. If you want to paint it, you can go with a metallic automotive paint, but it will have a much different look. If the gel coat just looks bad you may be able to buff it and get a shine, if it's too far gone, you can try a clear coat (paint) over it. If that won't do it, then it's time to paint with a solid color.