boat paint prep

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday I started sanding my boat getting it ready for paint. The boat has been painted over the gelcoat I believe. In this first picture you can see the paint is chipping or so I thought.

2012-05-07_19-24-22_394.jpg

This is another area of the boat that has already been sanded with 80 grit and 250 grit it still has the cracks in the glass. Should I hit it again with a coarser paper until the cracks are gone or is there something else that I need to do?

2012-05-07_19-31-19_517.jpg

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: boat paint prep

Am I asking my question in the right forum?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yes you are in the correct forum....

late at night things slow down a little.

too me.....the glass it self looks stressed.....if you just paint it with out repairing the glass.....the cracks will soon show thru your new paint

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would you repair the glass the whole top is like this.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would continue to sand with 80 grit up thru 180 and try to remove a bit more of the checking. I would then recommend using a High Build Primer when priming the boat.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok that's the best answer I was hoping for. Because there is noway I can cut each one of those out. I was already planning on using a high build primer. Would gel coat help the finish product from cracking or will sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand be the best way to eliminate the cracks from returning?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Most paint is more flexible than gel coat and will not stress crack as easily. Do the primer and paint thing as you already planned on.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My plan was to use a metalic urethane paint is that still the way to go?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Metallic....Hmmm really tough to apply. What kind of boat is this?? OK, this is a good example of why the forum rules recommend keeping a single thread on a project. maagee79, your previous thread and posts on painting has a lot of similar questions and information. You should have brought this topic back to life in that thread instead of starting a new one. It makes it a whole lot easier for everyone to keep track. It took me a while to remember who you were and what this project was all about. Not everyone takes the time and effort to research these things. I'd prolly ask a MOD to combine your 2 painting threads into one so everyone can get the total picture. My suggestions from the other thread still stand on your painting. I'm sure YD's do too!!!;)

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a different boat so I started a new thread sorry. The boat is a 1977 checkmate.

2011-10-12_12-53-22_981.jpg

2011-10-12_12-53-55_344.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If it has been painted..and the paint is crazing..then you need ( should ) remove All of the paint.

If the Gel was crazing prior to the paint being applied..then you need to sand into the gel a little .. then apply the proper 2 part EPOXY primer before you paint ( paint with whatever you like after the primer ).

You say that you sanded with 80 grit..then 250.. I would think that the paint would be gone after that.

Are you Sure its Paint ?

YD.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first picture was an un touched area the second is one that has been sanded with both 80 and 250. The last pictures are right after I purchased the boat. I just came in from sanding the area that had already been sanded this weekend. I tried to get the cracks out with the 80 grit paper it didn't work all that well. I was thinking about getting some 60 going over the whole boat then coming back with a 120 ish paper then possibly a 250 and see how that does. I will go back out and take some more pictures before dark.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here are some more pictures which kinda have me dumbfounded. This one is from the top of the boat while sanding I didn't go through any gelcoat.

2012-05-08_19-21-44_919.jpg

This picture is from just above the rubrail all the way down the gunnel rail. It has gel coat under the paint.

2012-05-08_19-20-55_677.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your deck looks primed and painted.

Not sure about that gunwhale thing goin' on there..

I still suggest the 2 part epoxy primer..block out and paint.

YD.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I will do then. Do you have recommendation for the epoxy primer or a good place to look for it? Today I went and got 2 chain falls to. Flip the boat to do the bottom I've just been testing the top to see what I was getting myself into. Hopefully it will be flipped by Saturday and I can start on the bottom. I will post more pictures when I flip it.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are both of those just above waterline primers? The one wood recommended didn't say.