Boat on trailer parked in our driveway

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice
I am having my boat delivered to my house Thursday night, how can I secure the boat and trailer in my driveway till it gets put into storage, it is a shorelander trailer

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Boat on trailer parked in our driveway

You worried about it rolling away or someone stealing it?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lock the hitch. Put a chain and lock through the wheels. Or, remove the wheels.

Those actions will not stop a determined thief but will stop amateurs.

oldjeep

Admiral

Lock the hitch. Put a chain and lock through the wheels. Or, remove the wheels.

Those actions will not stop a determined thief but will stop amateurs.

Also make sure you paid your insurance ;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

3/4 inch logging chain hooked to a Rottweiler

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

motion light + removing the wheels. Those two will stop all but the most determined thief, there are far easier targets at that point.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

run an extension cord from the house to the trailer, cut off the end and attached the live end to the trailer and electrify it!

not really.

You don't say what boat it is. And we don't know your neighborhood--around here I can leave stuff unlocked at home and 4 miles away it would be stripped overnight.

The most basic is a padlock through the hitch. That will stop the "crime of opportunity." If it's out there several days for bad guys to rid eby, see it, case it, and plan a more sophisticated heist, then you need the more sophisticated stuff.

If it's in the driveway just block it with a car. Or leave it hitched to the car and lock the hitch. On the street, block it in.

People steal stuff off of boats, too--same drill as a car. Electronics are the main target. Gas in the tank. An outboard not bolted on. Stainless steel prop (that's the first thing I'd remove and take in the house).

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

Home Cookin we used to be like you never had to worry about things being stolen, but things are changing around here, somebody just had their boat stolen from their driveway two weeks ago, I will try some of the things mentioned :)

matt167

Rear Admiral

Trailer lock, blocked in, electronics and prop removed. I'd probably go an extra bit, and wrap a chain around the transom ( rags or duct tape at boat contact points ) and lock it with a padlock, so that it would be harder to get it off the trailer. It's overkill but if your questioning it's safety because of your area. It's not a bad idea

bigdee

Commander

German Shepard,shotgun,deer camera,motion lights has worked for me.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually secure the hitch with a padlock.

My neighbor pulls his boat into the driveway forwards, and then shimmys the truck out in the garage. He says he is afraid of someone cutting the lock and then stealing his boat..!!! I think he is afraid to back it in;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you go to crazy extremes, you become the victim of a crime that hasn't been committed yet.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

a shotgun with the trigger connected via a small rope to the hitch .

seriously - common sense is the best way of protecting. only park your trailer in an area which is known to be safe and a lock on the hitch. this should keep you out of trouble.

straightleg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anybody ever watch the show Bait Car.
California has such a theft problem police set cars in area's, leave the door open or not and leave the keys in it. When the thefts get in and drive away the police have a automatic engine shut off and the doors lock, and they are on candid camera the whole time. Then the police show up arrest them and chuckle about the excusses they come up with.
Funny stuff.

We can do this with you boat. Bait boat....Just an idea
But instead of cops a bunch of us boat guys :D

SL

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

When the thefts get in and drive away the police have a automatic engine shut off

the automatic (boat) engine shutoff will stop the thiefs for sure when they steal the trailer with the boat on it ! :D

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Like was said, make sure you have theft insurance. I went one step farther and got replacement value insurance.

And, my Rottweiler does sleep under the pontoon trailer all day. Since we let Hank run loose, only the UPS girl can deliver a package. She carries dog biscuits for all the big dogs. As long as a robber doesn't have dog biscuits, I'm covered.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hitch lock, chain or stout cable through the wheels or take the wheels off. If they take it with that in place then it;s time to call the insurance company. make sure you take photos with all the security devices in place then the insurance company will process the claim with less questions and issues if indeed it becomes necessary.

Brewman61

Ensign

Criminals hate the following:
Making noise, Being Visible, and Delays. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. We get a remarkable amount of thefts out of vehicles where the car door isn't even locked. Or houses entered with unlocked doors. Simple locks deter most, they go onto another easier target. Put some type of lock you your coupler, I use the type with the ball and surround with a pin lock on the latch. They'd have to make some noise and take some time to get that undone. Around here that'd attract too much attention. Make it a bit hard and the lazy ones will go elsewhere. The determined ones are gonna get you regardless, but there are dozens of lazy thiefs for each determined one. That's where insurance comes in. Rotweiler is a great idea.