Boat not take off when everyone sitting in the back

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hello guys hope you all doing well. I have question.
When I have 8 people in the boat and all of them sitting in the back, the boat not taking off and max speed will go 12 MPM with WOT , and when I ask three people to sit in the front seats of the boat to balance the weight . The boat take off normally ! So is this normal or I have problem with the engine? I have regal 2100 with I/O Volvo penta engine. By the way the trim all the way down the lower unit all the way down to the bottom.
Please let me know if you know the problem.
Thanks a lot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volvo penta what?

they made motors from 5hp to 500hp, and engine sizes from 1 liter to 8 liters

Nearly every bow rider I had did that. current boat doesnt for two reasons

not enough room in the back
I have 50% more HP now than I did when the boat was new.

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hey buddy, Thanks a lot for the response, it’s 375 HP 50gxic270r

Attachments

• C15C7076-BBD1-418C-BC2F-9D662EF9C17D.jpeg
    C15C7076-BBD1-418C-BC2F-9D662EF9C17D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you mean 270hp (that is what the 270 means)

If you have the trim tabs down a bit, the boat may eventually climb out of the hole, however having some people evenly balanced is normal.

Freeman1982

Seaman
Yes 270 sorry, the trip all the way down . Do nothing wrong with the boat. Thank you . Can you please send me the manual service link . The link I have doesn’t work anymore , also I have one more question. When I shift the lower unit on Rear it’s making wired noise and shaking, but i don’t have this issue when I shift it to the front and cruising. Do you think there is problem in the lower unit ? And do you think it’s a big deal ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member
Hello guys hope you all doing well. I have question.
When I have 8 people in the boat . . .
. . . Please let me know if you know the problem.
Thanks a lot
Yes, a people problem, not a mechanical issue. Sounds like you know the solution. :)

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yes this is typical - when we ski or board in my sea ray 200 everyone wants to sit in the back row (4 across)- its gets on plane but much slower.

The only thing that may help is what prop are you running and what is WOT RPM currently with that set up. If you are over propped it will help to go down in pitch or use a lower pitch 4 blade for better stern lift and holeshot. While this may improve things definitely having 1500 lbs of meat on the stern is the issue

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
This is the website that you can download a free owners manual.
Please read the owners manual, pay attention to the section on loading your boat. Also read the section about static water line measurement. You might be running the risk of having your boat sitting too low in the water with that much weight in the back. This can cause water to back up the exhaust and damage your engine.

A knowledgeable captain can be a good captain. Don't be a bad captain.