Boat not getting on plane, barnacles

RyalsCreek

Cadet
For smaller boats and engines, getting up on plane is sometimes like trying to do a handstand. I have a 16 foot Vseries skiff with a 40 HP Nissan. I leave the boat in the water year round (saltwater/brackish/tidal) and usually have the bottom painted every 2 years. It has been 2 years since the last paint job. I just pulled it out and scraped the bottom and did NOT paint it. It is faster, but it won't quite get to top speed. As far as friction and drag goes, I'm curious if having the bottom sanded and painted will make enough noticeable difference. I'm sure there is a formula for thrust, friction, etc. It seems those boats with 90HP can have the same amount of barnacles and growth, but are able to "muscle" their way up on plane. A boat of my size and horsepower must fall into the category of "will plane when everything works properly". Any comments or experiences?

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat not getting on plane, barnacles

When the bottom is clean are you sure your outboard has the correct prop?
Alittle more information would help us also...like weight of boat,type hull,how much weight in the boat(waterlogged foam=left outside),whats the max hp your hull will handle and rpm's when running at plane(WOT).Those would help a bunch,I never googled your boat but I would think a 40hp should get most 16'ers on plane.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes a clean bottom is better for performance and based on your post.........could your motor be in need of a tune up too?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A fresh bottom paint job or the old bottom paint scraped off will not change a boats speed or power noticeably. if you cannot plane with a scraped bottom, and you could plane last year with bottom paint, the motor or prop has an issue, IMHO.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed. even a barnacly bottom can get on a plane