boat name

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a design for the name of my boat.How do they hand paint names on boat? My friend does tatoos and is this the same concept?Tracing paper ?

drewpster

Commander
Re: boat name

I watched a guy put on some hand painted graphics on the side of a semi trailer (53ft long) using a projector. Using the projected image of the outline he traced it out then then turned the projector off to fill in. I went to go see this done expecting a bunch of fancy projection equipment, nope. Plane old school house projector.
He left the projector in place and turned it on from time to time to check his work as he went along. It looked great when it was finished but I bet it was very costly.
You might want to check into some vinyl types also. Do a search "boat names" and a few will come up. I bet you could find one that does custom work. (also costly)

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would consult a local sign shop. I have always used them to make up my boat names and things of the like. I would avoid paint do to the complexity of removing it should the situation call for it.

Good Luck!

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are many places that now make decals for this purpose. few are painted any more.

CATransplant

Admiral

I have a design for the name of my boat.How do they hand paint names on boat? My friend does tatoos and is this the same concept?Tracing paper ?

If you have the design on your computer, in digital form, any good vinyl shop can make you vinyl of your design.

If it's on paper, it can be scanned and done on vinyl. Not expensive, compared to hand paintin.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

If you do something on your computer and REALLY want to paint it yourself... and it's not too complex, a once in a while way that works is to take an overhead transparency, cover it with overlapping strips of wide paint masking tape (good stuff), then run it through your printer to put the design on the sheet of tape, cut and remove the painted sections with an exacto knife, and then very carefully transfer the tape template to the surface.... paint and remove, after dry, VERY LIGHTLY wetsand to remove the edge / ridges and then clear over it...

There are better ways, but this works well for fairly simple drawings and using things that many of us have on hand or can get easily...

vinyl is obviously waaay easier...

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only sensible way to do it is let the pro either make the computer-generated image that you apply, or give the painter the computer image that they put onto the boat. If you dont have an image, the sign shop can type it, you pick the font, they cut the lettering. Dont try to paint it. Unless you are an artist or have a graphics background it probably wont come out well.

drewpster

Commander

There is a bit of a learning curve in applying the decal. I have some experience doing it at work. Our trucks have vinyl stripes and all the trailer signs are vinyl decals.
The decal is basically applied by wetting the surface with water, placing the decal and removing the water under it using a plastic scraper. It sounds simple but like most things it can be frustrating.
First, don't use soap in the water. Even a small amount of soap will cause the decal not to stick. Use a clean spray bottle to wet the surface. Wet the surface just enough so that the water beads and does not run off. If you get streaks of water running off, your using too much. Also apply water to the adhesive side of the decal after the contact paper is removed. Again, very slightly with little or no run-off.
Second, do not try to apply the decal by starting at one end and rolling it on to the surface. This will cause big problems. Apply it by lying it flat gently. The tension of the water will be enough to hold it in place. If you can slide the decal around your using too much water. If the decal is large be sure to have a helper. If you cannot handle the decal without it folding you need a helper.
Third, Wet the protective paper on the outside surface of the decal before scraping. This will soften the bond of the cover paper and protect the decal while scraping the water from under it. Start scraping from the middle out using gentle strokes at first. You can use more pressure as more water is removed. Use too much in the beginning and air bubbles and water can get trapped under the decal. Scrape the entire surface. I usually start at the middle and scrape downward allowing the scraper to pass all the way past the edge of the decal. Do the whole surface, downward and upward, and remove all the water. Use a stiff plastic scraper with no square edges that can scratch the decal.
Peel off the cover paper and your done!
If you have screw heads that cannot be removed prior to applying the decal you can use very slight heat to shrink the vinyl neatly around them. A hot day or a hair drier is normally enough. Don't try to cut the decal around hardware. It never works out well.
If you make a mistake, have a straight line to maintain, or compound curves the water will allow you to remove and reapply sections if it is needed. The decal can be pulled a little but never stretched! If you have to pull up a section make sure you do so before scraping out the water. And spray a little more water on the decal and the surface before putting the section back down.
I am sure I have made it seem more complicated then it is. The trick is using enough water that the decal can be removed without stretching and not so much that it gets trapped.

unsolicited advice is always free, Drewp

gallavantin

Cadet

I agree, vinyl is the way. I did vinyl on my Helms 27 (sailboat) and it has lasted 7 years already. A friend had his painted, faded after 5 :(

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Hey check this out cause I agree that vinyl is the easiest and cheapest way..

but if you want it to last it's real easy to paint it.... go to the above mentioned vinyl shop and have them make vinyl stencils for you then paint it.

Pro sign painters and truck letterers have been doing it for years.

Paint is always better then vinyl. (oh yeah but I'm just using vinyl on mine I'm lazy)