Boat motor seems to make a huge wake . . . Tohatsu 20hp

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Boat motor seems to make a huge wake . . . Tohatsu 20hp

Cool. Most folks just put the 5200 straight on the bolt, like squeezing mustard on a hot dog. Never seen the PVC trick, but it should work just fine. AS you've seen 5200 is some pretty gooey stuff. Not to worry, it cleans up well with a bit of Acetone. It may also take several days to cure, but once it does, it will last for ages.

Boisegolfer

Cadet

I am having similar issues with a 2012 Tohatsu 20hp long shaft. Slow speed, water coming up the transom, not planing. I raised the transom 2 1/4" and the water issues have settled down but I still have no speed. I bought one of the small inductive TACHs and my WOT is 2650. GPS speed is 11 to 12mph.
I have a Harbercraft 1400sk, boat, motor, gear and 2 people weigh about 1000lbs.

pvanv

Admiral

What is the transom height now? Is the anti-ventilation plate even with the bottom of the boat? What is your prop pitch? Can you post a pic of the rig?

emoney

Commander

Boisegolfer you'd be better off starting your own thread and include pics. How do you know what your boat weighs? Have you put it on scales? Boats that have hidden rot can weigh a lot more you know. Start your thread and plenty folks will weigh in.

Boisegolfer

Cadet

OK, I started a thread. "Tohatsu 20hp under performing" with a picture of the rear of the boat.