boat motor ratings??????????

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: boat motor ratings??????????

tvpear, ok, the 89 model eliminates any confusion as to prop HP.<br />4800RPM will kill that engine, but if you've been talking with DH, you already know that.<br />Sounds like your set-up is pretty good as far as mounting height, setback, etc.<br />I'm reluctant to offer any advice now that I know you're talking to DH.....follow his suggestions and you won't go wrong.<br />For the sake of knowing, what manufacture, model, etc., is your prop??

Paul Moir

Admiral

According to tvpear12's numbers, he's running at 43mph theoretical. -6% slip is pretty darn good. :D <br />Either your speedo, or your tach, or both is wrong. Ever confirm it with GPS?<br /><br />(The things you learn on iboats! ;) )

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you know, Im not sure of make and model of prop. I know thats pretty dumb but not as dumb as what i did on the lake. read the thread on dumbest things done and you will probably agree. never really give it much thought on prop make and model.i will ck and let you know.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well tvpear12, we don't agree on what "underpowered" means. <br /><br />You need accurate numbers. If you are really maxing out at 4800rpm and really getting 46mph you have a propping and maybe a rigging problem. <br /><br />My guess is that you need a correct prop to get you to maybe 5800 rpm (accurate) with a light load. That should get you to the magic 50mph unless your current instruments are waaaay off.<br /><br />Follow DHadley's advice. That will get you what is available, and it will be plenty.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Tvpear12 and I talked a bit the other night and like he mentioned we are looking at some things. Timing, accurate tach etc. Once he can establish a baseline we'll have good info to go on. <br /> <br />We talked about his rig and all things being equal and right a V4 should swing a 19" prop more than 4800. I have a feeling the tach is off or its a very healthy motor with the timing reduced a lot. <br /><br />Ted's pretty good at keeping us posted. I'm sure we can get him going.