Boat misting system

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most of you probably wonder why on earth I would want a misting system when I have the lake 4' under my feet - to those of you who live in Arizona you will know EXACTLY why I want one :)

Seriously, boating in 115F and 4% humidity needs all the cooling effects that we can get.

Here's my plan (cos I am a tightwad and I don't want to pay the Marine store nearly $400 for theirs!)

I bought a 12V Marine Water Pump from Harbor Freight with a coupon for $30 and have located under the port rear seat on my 84 Bayliner Capri and connected it with a hosepipe T with 5/8" reinforced water hose to two hose shut off quick connect female connectors which are being mounted under the seat. This gives me 2 outlets.

In the splash well side wall I am mounting a similar connector for the water inlet. The hose for this can either be dropped into a fresh water container or into the lake and will have a filter sock on the end similar to the ones used in automotive gas tanks on the end of the pickups.

For the misting system, I have the cheap kit from Walmart that is mounted onto the trailing edge of the bimini that I can plug into the water outlet or I also have 2 personal misting 'cobras' that we can use.

The misters use about 1 gallon/hr and the marine pump is good for 50psi so it should be quite effective.

By the way, I have already redone the deck of the boat with a layer of CSM followed by a layer of mat and 2 layers of epoxy so it's completely waterproof - although in the AZ heat, water doesn't sit around for long :)

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat misting system

Check farm supply houses (farmtek, gimplers, ect.) for hog misting or evaporative cooler nozels. They use a similar system in livestock houses and those company's sell just the nozels. I went this route when I built an evaporative cooler ring and mounted it on my deck pedestal fan.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I think that is a fantastic idea. Kudos to you.

Now...perfect your system, build a DIY kit and sell it. You have a million dollar idea. Well, maybe a 10,000 dollar idea. People can always jump over to cool off...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I'm thinkin your 12V pump plugged into a lighter with a 4 jet mister tube mounted on your bimini from Desperate Depot will work just fine. Drop the supply tube in the water, plug it in and hope for a small breeze. I just might make one up for my next Powell trip! Beats hosing the carpets with a Super Soaker...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm thinkin your 12V pump plugged into a lighter with a 4 jet mister tube mounted on your bimini from Desperate Depot will work just fine. Drop the supply tube in the water, plug it in and hope for a small breeze. I just might make one up for my next Powell trip! Beats hosing the carpets with a Super Soaker...

Forget the super soaker...while I was at the Atlantic City Boat show this year, I found an extendable boat hook for $10 that may also be used for bailing. As you extend the handle , it sucks up water. They claim you can 'discharge ' the water from it in a stream up to 50'...my personal best is around 30'.....should be great fun for those jetfleas that get to close !

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A coworker brought a personal mister to a constuction job w a small, liter or so insulated container w hand pump, and a clip on mister for your hat, collar etc.It was quite refreshing on hot days in the sun.Im gonna make one that circles my whole boat because I think along w the cooling effect it would help w mosquitoes while fishing on warm nights!!!

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear they are good for mosquitoes too - we don't get them here cos they get cooked during the day :)

Be careful of those 'Super Soakers' - a bunch of idiots were using them in the channel in Havasu to hose off the passing boats until the Police boat saw them. It wouldn't be so bad but that channel water is stinking, full of gas fumes and oils and probably plenty of human effluent - yet they sit in it up to their noses - yeuch!

Just got all of the connections from HD so am rigging it up now - I'll let you know how it performs over the weekend as we will be hitting 100F on Saturday!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ewww...effluent....lol...skeeters are terrible fliers...a fan can keep them off of you. Thats why folks have ceiling fans on their open air porches....

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think a ring of pipeing around the entire boat w a misting system would be alot less cumbersome than electric fans on my 18' jonboat and might help wash off the fish/beer smell my wife objects to when I get home:p I may also have a dedicated source for the mist,w a few shots of OLD SPICE,or sun dried shrimp/crab shells:cool:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

ewww...effluent....lol...skeeters are terrible fliers...a fan can keep them off of you. Thats why folks have ceiling fans on their open air porches....

you need to try out some north dakota/minnesota mosquitoes sometime... during the summer we average about a 20 mph wind, and the skeeters have no trouble finding and biting you! fans do nothing to them, unless that fan happens to be the speed of a leaf blower.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

This, great idea!!

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's some photos for you whether it's something that you would do or not :) (scroll right to see the whole photo as the forum doesn't auto resize).

P1040093.JPG

I removed the very tatty cooler that was located under the port seat and installed my second (an third) battery - I have a lawn mower battery (145 cca) just for use in real emergencies and a pair of size 24 batteries.

I mounted the quick connects to a piece of lexan and screwed that to the inside face so that the connection poked through to the inside of the boat - these connects switch off water flow when there is no connection and so I can use one or both.

P1040094.JPG

At the moment the harbor freight pump is simply connected using alligator clips but I will make it a switched circuit if it all works out.

P1040095.JPG

The water inlet is the same quick connect that is mounted in the splash well - the hose can either be dropped into the lake or into a 6 gallon water container.

P1040096.JPG

This is one of the personal cooler cobras that I have - using this system I can use one or two.

P1040097.JPG

All I have to do now is install the 4 nozzle garden mister on the rear of the bimini - I'll do this is a way that I can quickly disconnect the feed hose and drop the bimini down without having to remove the misters.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That's great!

It would be nice coming from the top though.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

MistyMate they got all sorts of sizes and whatnot. one of these is definitely getting installed this season.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

you need to try out some north dakota/minnesota mosquitoes sometime... during the summer we average about a 20 mph wind, and the skeeters have no trouble finding and biting you! fans do nothing to them, unless that fan happens to be the speed of a leaf blower.

DITTO I saw one fly off with a small dog once after it couldn't get its 8 penny nail sized blood sucker detangled from the dogs fur:eek::(;)

cptnblah

Cadet

Steve..sent you a friend request or whatever they call them here. I am interrested in what psi you came up with. I bought a bimini with a mister included but seeing as a prototype...they didn't know what pump to use. I also do not want the pump to compete with my stereo. Oh...did I say that I too am in Havasu (now for over a month)

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My misting system is to drive hard into a tugboat wake.

But then again my jacuzzi is a baby pool with a trolling motor in it.

On a serious note, how about a rig similar to a livewell intake where lake water is forced up into your system through a large opening (say 2" mouth) fed into the small pipes (1/4") and out the pin-hole nozzle, to give you mechanical, rather than electrical, powered system to enjoy while cruising?

UncleWillie

Captain

...It wouldn't be so bad but that channel water is stinking, full of gas fumes and oils and probably plenty of human effluent ...

Keep in mind that if you are supplying the mister with filtered water from the lake, after it evaporates in the mist, the bacteria, viruses, and minerals dissolved in the water, are now dust in the wind, and you are breathing them directly into your lungs.

Distilled Water, or even Tap Water would be a better choice for the water supply.