Boat Lift

Curcio

Cadet
I am thinking of storing my sailboat (22 ft Catalina) on my lift for the winter. My concern is the weight sitting on the cables all year without moving and the potential to stretch, break, or harm the pulleys. Has anyone come up with a bracket that could support the lift section holding the boat by anchoring it to the arms and lowering the lift to take the weight off the cables. I'm thinking of something like a Z bracket the attaches to the support arm and then grabs the movable part of the lift and holds it when I slightly lower the lift and release the tension on the cables.

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Boat Lift

As long as you sailboat dose not exceed the weight capacity of you lift, there should be no problem. It is a goo idea to inspect the cables, pulleys, etc. on a regular basis.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat Lift

they are made for it, and releasing tension can cause them to jump the roller (why you can't hit bottom with them). So it won't matter.

But you can always go visit and move it some every few weeks. That seems like a good idea for any mechanical device.