Boat lift flushing

neon7160

Recruit
I keep a boat with a 60 horse merc on a lift over a canal in my back yard that I need a better idea on how to flush. My 250 Suzukui has a hose connection, though I just complete three hundred hour service and it is pretty obvious that plan doesn't flush the lower unit that well. It's better than nothing and I would take better than nothing on the 2022 60 EPT Merc if it existed. Merc, since I last owned one, has changed their ways and are flat certain that it the lower unit way or the highway. I agree that is better but not nearly as much of a downgrade as not at all. I'd like to know how to get muffs on a lower unit that Wilt Chamberlain couldn't reach from inside a boat. The boats and lifts are on the Indian River Lagoon which has little fresh water inflow so pretty salty water. It seems like there must be a better way to flush than to launch a kayak, put the muffs on the engine overhead, the skeg positioned right in front of my face when using two hands to attach the apparatus, then two hands to bind it with a bungee so it doesn't slip off, row back to the ladder, knowing I will later explain to my wife why my face is bleeding, toss the paddle up on the dock, wonder if the ladder is really rated to take more than about 75 pounds, turn the water on, crank up the engine, and then reverse everything because either I bungee or take a 50% chance the muffs will decide, "Holy Bunions Batman! That water pressure makes me want to shoot off into the lagoon!" The final indignity is hauling a kayak over a seawall at 63. There has to be a better way. I was told that just like the Suzuki there is a way to attach a hose atop, for which I asked the kid at the boat service place, "You've got a Merc 60 just like it for sale upstairs. Would you go with me and point at the hose attachment?" He proved he knows less than he pretends and then I got to stand there while he determined there was no after market part made by Merc to flush from anywhere other than the lower unit. I suspect there is but he wouldn't let me look at the computer,

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you need to use the flusher on the water intake grates, that is real difficult as you pointed out. Newer motors like yours often have flusher connection more accessible, often in the rear of the motor. I assume your motor does not.

Outboards are pretty rugged when it comes to salt water. I never flush my 1993 Merc or 1998 Johnnyrude motor and have had zero issues, and they are kept in the salt water. I run them in a freshwater barrel at the end of the season to get the salt out. I did use some flush stuff (readylyme??) one time as I felt corrosion in the '93 motor, in the engine passage under the thermostat. I did not check to see if the corrosion was gone, as it would have been a spot check at best.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on my 2018, the flush port is the same location as the pee hole. Pictures of a 2022 seems to have the same thing. A garden hose threads into that port.
There's seems to be a debate on whether to run the engine via this port, some say yes, some say no. But it does allow you to flush with a simple garden hose.