Boat leaning

Explorer 22

Recruit
I have a 2000 campion 672 Alaska cab( 23’) with a Volvo 5.7l and Volvo dou prop leg. Once on plane ( approx 22-25 N/hr) with the leg trimmed up , the boat leans generally to port. I have 12” x 12” trim tabs that function well, they will raise port stern (starboard side bow down) but the boat will not stay centered , it will lean to starboard , back off trim tab one click , the boat will come back up to Center then fall to port.
Leg trim?- trimmed up to just shy of proposing.
-trim tabs? -I feel are functioning as they should. (I can get the boat to lean to either side, just not upright) Are they too small? Should I add Bennett drop down fins?
-prop thrust?- it is dou prop.
-soft hull? I don’t fell there is any damage. —Balanced weight?-kicker on one side, but once again, I can get the trim tabs to compensate, but always to the opposite extreme.
I took a radar rack off the top of the cab incase it was too top heavy, no difference.
Any advice/ thoughts would be appreciated

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2000 campion 672 Alaska cab( 23’) with a Volvo 5.7l and Volvo dou prop leg. Once on plane ( approx 22-25 N/hr) with the leg trimmed up , the boat leans generally to port. I have 12” x 12” trim tabs that function well, they will raise port stern (starboard side bow down) but the boat will not stay centered , it will lean to starboard , back off trim tab one click , the boat will come back up to Center then fall to port.
Leg trim?- trimmed up to just shy of proposing.
-trim tabs? -I feel are functioning as they should. (I can get the boat to lean to either side, just not upright) Are they too small? Should I add Bennett drop down fins?
-prop thrust?- it is dou prop.
-soft hull? I don’t fell there is any damage. —Balanced weight?-kicker on one side, but once again, I can get the trim tabs to compensate, but always to the opposite extreme.
I took a radar rack off the top of the cab incase it was too top heavy, no difference.
Any advice/ thoughts would be appreciated
Guessing it’s a combination of hull design (old school deep V) and the duoprop since your leaning left. Normal props tend to push you starboard.

I’m running a 22’ W/A with an outboard, hardtop and 12x12 tabs with a continuous variable deadrise hull design. Very stable

Cruise at 27 kts. Keep trim fairly neutral. Boat gets pretty squirrely if I get off too far off.
Leans a bit to starboard but tabs are a one time correction.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Deep v hulls like this can easily be affected by such things. I’d also say that unknown to some…a boat can lean into the wind too. Short version of explanation would be that if you have a wind coming at you from the port side, when on plane…to get the boat to keep a heading…you tend to steer left to counter what the wind is doing. So naturally the boat will bank to port with the steering input given.

Explorer 22

Recruit
Guessing it’s a combination of hull design (old school deep V) and the duoprop since your leaning left. Normal props tend to push you starboard.

I’m running a 22’ W/A with an outboard, hardtop and 12x12 tabs with a continuous variable deadrise hull design. Very stable

Cruise at 27 kts. Keep trim fairly neutral. Boat gets pretty squirrely if I get off too far off.
Leans a bit to starboard but tabs are a one time correction.
Thanks dingbat

Explorer 22

Recruit
Deep v hulls like this can easily be affected by such things. I’d also say that unknown to some…a boat can lean into the wind too. Short version of explanation would be that if you have a wind coming at you from the port side, when on plane…to get the boat to keep a heading…you tend to steer left to counter what the wind is doing. So naturally the boat will bank to port with the steering input given.
Thanks for the input
thanks for the input QB BOUY. I feel that the leaning is more than the wind. I just took another mariner out for a run. The boat was leaning and unable to adjust effectively heading out and back ( into the wind and with it). He felt possibly trim tabs too small , but he wasn’t really sure.

I have no experience with trim tabs. but the thought occurred to me that maybe using tabs in combination might help...ie. raise port side to just where it falls to starboard then touch on starboard to keep form going to far the other way. again I have no tabs on my boat so no experience with them.
Another thought, have you checked your weight balance on you boat. batteries, supplies and the like can affect balance. Just my 2 cents.. take it or leave it. Good luck

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Water trapped below decks? When you correct it runs the opposite side and seesaws back and forth

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks dingbat, are you suggesting that with an old school hull design, I shouldn’t run the Volvo DP, or it may make a difference with a different leg?
Having never run your boat, I’m guessing the hull is the largest contributor to your problem.

Deep V are notorious for bad sea keeping. In effect they teeter port to starboard on the keel. Problems with weight distribution only amplify the problem.

Having said that.....every hull configuration responds differently. What works for one hull doesn't necessarily work for others. If I followed the usual "getting on plane" recommendations (trim and tabs full down) it would be very difficult to get my boat on plane, if at all.

You need to play around a bit to see what works best for your hull.
Here are my suggestions:

Tabs:
Are they mounted 3- 4" in from the chine as recommend?
A wider foot print brings better stability

Too much tab can have an adverse effect on performance. My boat is designed to run (make contact with water) mid-ship where the deadrise is much flatter than the bow. Too much tab or trim forces the bow in the water causing intermittent, overly exaggerated and dangerous bow steer.

Start with tabs fully retracted then add the bare minimum necessary to correct the situation.

Trim:
Trimming the bow up isn't helping the problem. Less bow in the water results in less surface area to keep you upright.

Same thing as tabs..... start out with minimum (neutral) trim and go from there.